Thinking about studying abroad? Here's how to get started!
Steps to Getting Started
- Attend Study Abroad 101. Click here for weekly schedule of sessions. If you are unable to attend a session in person, you may also view Study Abroad 101 online.
- Open an application! Click here to open and application for fall, winter, spring, and year-long programs (year-long students should select fall quarter when opening their application). For summer quarter AUP/UPPs, click here to open a summer application. There is no commitment in opening an application. The OIE asks that all students open an application right after attending Study Abroad 101.
- Watch regional info videos before meeting with an OIE advisor
- Review the online program brochure in DU Passport.
- Visit the program's website for more details such as course lists, program dates, and more.
- General Advising during deadline week drop-in hours will be available in the afternoons from 1-4pm in the basement of the I-House, a meeting with your region/program specific advisor during these times is not guaranteed.
- Take advantage of the DU's Writing Center's study abroad essay workshop to get your questions answered and go over essay best practices.
- Also, the How to Apply - DU Passport Nomination Application Instructions would be a great resource for application completion questions.
- Schedule an appointment with an OIE advisor. Some DUPPs and all unaffiliated programs require an individual advising appointment with the region/ program's designated advisor in order to be eligible to apply. Click here to schedule an appointment with an OIE advisor.
- Complete the DU Study Abroad Nomination Application before the deadline (January 20, 2017 for all 2017-2018 programs). Applications for summer quarter UPPs are due April 3, 2017 and AUPs are due April 15, 2017.
These steps must be completed before the deadline. It typically takes 4 to 6 weeks to complete all steps.
Don't forget that the application is just one small step of your study abroad journey! You will have lots of preparation to do before you depart, too.