Skip navigation


Grad Students

Graduate students may choose to participate in a variety of DU and non-DU study abroad programs. Each department has its own policies regarding the transfer of study abroad credit, so the first step in your exploration of international opportunities should be to speak with your academic advisor regarding your program’s policies and the number/type of study abroad credits you may earn towards your degree.

You will notice that most study abroad programs are aimed at undergraduate students, and do not offer graduate-level credit. Since graduate-level study is far more specialized, graduate students often have to do a great deal of independent research to identify programs that are a fit for their individual academic needs. Graduate students do have many opportunities for direct enrollment in universities abroad, particularly those students considering a quarter or semester of study.

There are three main categories of international experiences available to graduate students:

Study Abroad for Academic Credit

Students will take courses abroad that have been approved for transfer into their degree. This category includes summer/interterm programs and quarter/semester programs. These programs may be sponsored by the University of Denver, other U.S. universities or organizations, or involve direct enrollment in a university abroad. If you are planning to participate in a study abroad program for credit, you will need to work with the DU Office of International Education and your academic unit. If you participate in a program sponsored by the Office of Special Programs or a DU department, they will coordinate with our office.

Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate students must be registered for at least half-time enrollment to be eligible for financial aid awards. You will be registered at DU based on the credits pre-approved by your department. In turn, financial aid awards will be based on the registration credit. You will not receive financial aid for a non-credit program or language study abroad. Summer financial aid is determined separately from the academic year. You are encouraged to speak directly with the Financial Aid Office for details on your specific aid package.

DU Summer/Interterm Programs

Many academic units offer their own international courses, which vary by term. For example, the Graduate School of Social Work typically offers several international courses for its students including programs in Kenya, Bosnia, and Costa Rica. The Daniels College of Business often embeds an international experience in many of its MBA programs.

Check with your academic department to see if they offer international courses. Some DU international summer/interterm programs are coordinated by the Office of Special Programs. The cost of DU-sponsored programs varies, but typically includes DU tuition plus travel-related costs.

Unaffiliated Programs- AUPs/UPPs

You may also opt to participate in an Approved Unaffiliated Program (AUP) or an Unaffiliated Program by Petition (UPP). This may be a program sponsored by another U.S. university, a study abroad program provider, or direct enrollment in a university abroad as a visiting student. It is important to examine the level of courses offered when searching for programs, as many study abroad programs only offer undergraduate credit. There are many opportunities for graduate students to enroll directly in a university abroad, provided you are proficient in the language of instruction. If you participate in an AUP/UPP, you will pay the program cost directly to the program sponsor/university. If participating in a credit-bearing program, you will be registered at DU in a study abroad placeholder course, and will pay a $50 Study Abroad Administrative fee plus the DU Technology fee.  Please note that in order to be registered in the placeholder course, you must take graduate level coursework and receive approval from your department to transfer the credit towards your DU degree requirements. Click here for more information on AUPs/UPPs during the academic year, click here. For summer AUPs/UPPs, click here

Required International Experience, No Credit Earned

This category includes internships, thesis or dissertation research, and language study to fulfill language proficiency requirements. No financial aid is available for this type of program because you will not receive academic credit. You will not be registered at the University of Denver, but if these experiences fulfill requirements of your degree program you will be covered by the University of Denver’s International SOS policy. In order to receive and comply with the University's international travel policy, you must register your travel in DU Passport as and "Experiential Learning Participants".   

Optional International Experience, No Credit Earned

This category includes independent travel, volunteer programs, work abroad, or language study not required by your program. If you are planning on this option, you are not required to complete any paperwork or register with the Office of International Education. You are traveling abroad on your own accord and taking on the risks and responsibilities accordingly. DU takes on no responsibility for this type of travel.

Researching International Options

Study Abroad search engines:

Law programs abroad:

Internships abroad:

How to Apply

Please meet with an OIE advisor for information on how to apply.