The Center for Judaic Studies' strong vision for Jewish studies programming and education has resulted in our being an ongoing recipient of a number of prestigious grants.
*For a list of awards that are available from CJS to students and community members, please visit the "CJS Events and Awards" page.
Marsico Visiting Scholars grants:
Faculty members can expand learning opportunities for undergraduates by applying for Marsico Visiting Scholar grants. These grants fund visiting researchers' work in specific fields.
Recent Marsico Awards to CJS faculty
|Date||Visiting scholar||Expertise||Work produced||Awarded to professor|
|October 2012||Bernardo Kononovich||Clinical Psychology, Filmmaking||Kadish||Lydia Gil Keff|
|October 2012||Nancy Stockdale||History, Jewish Studies||Jonathan Sciarcon|
|April 2012||Roy Horovitz||Performance Art||My First Sony||Sari Havis|
|May 2011||Claire Katz||Jewish philosophy||Sarah Pessin|
|March 2011||Miri Talmon-Bohm||Israeli film||Sari Havis|
|February 2011||Annie Dawid and Haim Watzman||Writing and translation||Adam Rovner|
|May 2010||Carol Newsom||Dead Sea Scrolls||Alison Schofield|
American-Israeli Cooperative Enterprise Grant
This program gives American students a broad understanding of Israel's history, society, politics, culture, and relations with its neighbors and the broader international community.
Through the work of CJS, DU is one of 20 universities in the country to receive this prestigious grant.
- 2012-2013: Grant renewed for Schusterman Visiting Israeli Professor Dr. Menachem Mor (University of Haifa)
- 2011-2012: Grant awarded to support Schusterman Visiting Israeli Professor Dr. Menachem Mor (University of Haifa)
Rose Community Foundation Grant
Rose Community Foundation issues grants to organizations and institutions serving the seven-county greater Denver community in the areas of aging, child and family development, education, health and Jewish life.
Most recent award: 2011-2013
Awarded a grant for series of salons on Israeli history and culture, programmed in partnership with the American Jewish Committee (AJC)
Awarded a grant "Celebrating Jewish Denver's 150th Anniversary" which enabled us to mount a large, engaging exhibit at the Jewish Community Center (JCC) and produce a set of 12 beautiful Colorado Jewish history panels, currently on display at the Anderson Academic Commons. The grant also supported a Jewish genealogy workshop at the Colorado Jewish History Museum as well as a popular bus tour of Denver Jewish sites.
Women's Library Association Research Collection Development Grant
The Women's Library Association offers grants to faculty to enhance the Penrose Collection.
- 2013: Professor Sari Havis received a WLA grant to improve Penrose's collection around Israeli culture and cinema.
- 2012: Professor Sari Havis received a WLA grant to improve Penrose's collection around Israeli culture and cinema.
- 2011: Professors Sarah Pessin and Jonathan Sciarcon received WLA grants to improve Penrose's collection around Israeli and Jewish history.
- 2010: Professors Sari Havis and Jonathan Sciarcon received WLA grants to begin and expand Penrose's collection around Israeli cinema, culture and history, and Jewish history.
- 2009: Professor Sarah Pessin received a WLA grant to expand Penrose holdings in the areas of Jewish philosophy and theology.