Exam Policies and Procedures
The undergraduate placement test assesses students' language abilities to place them in the right class levels. We prohibit students from using supplemental materials during this test. French, German, Italian and Spanish tests are computer-based. Tests in all other languages are paper-based. Test formats (reading, writing, aural and oral) vary by language.
- French, German, Italian and Spanish tests are taken online.
- Chinese, Latin and Russian may be printed, taken and mailed in for grading.
- Arabic, Hebrew and Japanese placement exams are taken during Discoveries Week.
French, German and Spanish
This test is a multiple-choice, computer-adaptive test that will take 15-45 minutes depending on your knowledge of the language. If you get disconnected or forget to print your placement results, simply return to the web site, reenter your name, ID and e-mail address exactly as you did before, and press "resume." This will take you back to the exam results or let you continue the exam.
To take the French, German or Spanish Placement Test:
- Log on to the placement testing website.
- Select "University of Denver (du)" and click "Go."
- The password is "lang246."
- At the end of the test, you will receive instructions regarding advising. Read this section carefully.
- Print and keep a copy of your language placement score.
- Your first score will be recorded and sent to the registrar. However, if you score a 0, retake the test, and your second score will be recorded.
This test includes listening comprehension, grammar, reading comprehension and writing. You must complete the test in one sitting and will have only one hour to complete it.
To take the Italian Placement Test:
- Before you begin: make sure you have functioning headphones or speakers.
- Log on to the Italian Placement Test.
- At the end of the test, you will receive instructions regarding advisement.
Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Latin, Japanese and Russian
If you are an undergraduate student who needs to prove language proficiency through a certain level as part of your degree requirement, you can take the language test once per quarter. Please fill out the online registration form and we will contact you with instructions.