Looking to continue and deepen your education? The Department of English offers the PhD in English with concentrations in:
We also offer the MA with a concentration in literary studies.
Benefit from a small, intimate faculty and flexible curriculum
Our department of 22 faculty—all of whom are widely published—work closely with you to share their experiences and learning, both in and out of the classroom.
The small faculty also gives you the flexibility to tailor your degree to your specific talents and interests. Our distinctive curriculum offers not only typical graduate seminars, but also writing workshops, individually designed tutorials and colloquia devoted to teaching and professional development. You'll be encouraged to cross genre boundaries in your writing, relate theory to practice and work creatively with scholarly projects.
Focus on a wide range of dissertation research
Our major areas for dissertation research include:
- creative writing
- modern and contemporary British literature
- American literature
- American multicultural literature and Anglophone literatures
- genre studies
- literary theory and rhetoric
We also offer course work in traditional literary fields, cultural studies, ethnic literatures and gender studies.
Get the opportunity to be more than just a student
No passive learning here. Our graduate program is a lively, professional community that doesn't adhere to traditional education boundaries. You'll have the opportunity to:
- teach a variety of courses in literature and writing (as a graduate teaching assistant (GTA) and teacher of record)
- serve on committees
- participate in departmental searches
- organize your own reading series
- attend professional conferences
- publish your work
More graduate program information
Explore these helpful links to learn more about our program:
- Department of English: Complete Bulletin (2014-2015)
- Application requirements and deadlines
- English Graduate Studies community page & Graduate Handbook
- Frequently asked questions (Application FAQs)
You can also contact Aja Murray, AHSS Student Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 303-871-2249.