Skip navigation

Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences

Lamont School of Music

Lamont School of Music

History

Founded in 1924 by renowned voice teacher Florence Lamont Hinman, the Lamont School of Music began as a private proprietary school in downtown Denver. Under Ms. Hinman's direction, the Lamont School of Music flourished, becoming an important cultural fixture in Denver's arts scene throughout the 1920s and 30s. In 1941, the school merged with the University of Denver and remained under Ms. Hinman's direction until her retirement in 1952. Roger Dexter Fee, one of Ms. Hinman's vocal proteges, was named the school's second director.

Despite its separation from DU's main campus for many years, the Lamont School of Music persevered, and was poised for expansion and development. Both followed with the appointment of the school's fifth director, F. Joseph Docksey. In 1988, the Lamont School of Music's enrollment totaled 116 music majors at both the graduate and undergraduate levels; by 2001, enrollment jumped to 256; and by 2007, the school had reached its strategic enrollment cap of 300 music majors. Students and faculty moved into the state-of-the-art Robert and Judi Newman Center for the Performing Arts in 2002. In February 2005, the Lamont School of Music was recognized by the city of Denver with the Mayor's Award for Excellence in the Arts. 2011 marked the appointment of Lamont's sixth director, Nancy Cochran.