WHY STUDY CHINESE?
China has a rich past and a promising future. One of the oldest civilizations in the world is now a major geopolitical force, holding the second-biggest economy after the United States. Knowing the language of this key player in our contemporary, globalized world will help you in your pursuit of a variety of sought-after professions.
Prepare yourself for a career in international studies, economics, international business, political science, anthropology, environment studies, media studies, urban studies, cultural studies and more.
THE CHINESE PROGRAM AT DU
The Chinese program at DU has three primary goals:
- To develop students' language proficiency in listening, speaking, reading and writing
- To advance the understanding of Chinese culture
- To improve students' ability to adapt to a different social environment
Students studying Chinese at the University of Denver can earn a minor in Chinese. In addition to classroom instruction provided by innovative instructors, these students benefit from a variety of approaches to education, including:
- Practice conversing with native Chinese speakers
- Multimedia methodology, including online resources
- Use of calligraphy and other cultural practices
Students are also encouraged to study abroad in China, where they can take part in community service and internship opportunities; practice cultural norms, like bargaining; and live with local families.