WHY STUDY FRENCH?
There are many reasons why you might consider studying French, including:
- Over 250 million people in 55 countries speak French.
- Living and studying in France, Sénégal, Morocco, Madagascar, Québec or another French-speaking country becomes a possibility.
- French is an official language and/or a working language of the Olympics, the United Nations, the International Red Cross and the International Monetary Fund.
- French-speaking Canada is the United States' most important export market. France's export market ranks as number eight.
- Knowing French gives you a great excuse to vacation in Paris—or Tahiti!
THE FRENCH PROGRAM AT DU
The French program at the University of Denver is built on the belief that there is a deep connection between language, culture and literature. Therefore, we aim to provide you with not only language skills, but those skills needed to explore a new culture or study compelling literature.
You're likely to discover a poem you love, write a short story, consider French art through the eyes of French poets and novelists, study the French revolution or enjoy classic French films. You might even develop a new way of looking at your world.
Students of the French program at DU can earn distinction in French by writing a senior thesis. Take a look at some of the titles of our students' work:
- L'Échec et le sinistre succès du langage: une exploration du langage et de la dictature dans le théâtre de l'absurde d'Ionesco.
- La France et L'Algérie: deux pays entremêlés. La colonisation, sa présence contemporaine, et ses effets sur les relations entre la France et l'Algérie.
- Carmen: du fiasco au triomphe
- La rhétorique des journaux révolutionnaires entre 1789-1794.
- Le rôle de l'identité dans la littérature pour enfants française comme propagande pendant l'occupation de la France.
- Le Monument de la Renaissance Africaine:le pont imprévu entre le récit national et la mémoire du people.
- Les aventures de Tintin: une littérature d'oppression?
Student achievement does not stop with graduation. Graduates of DU's French program have gone on to pursue a variety of exciting careers. Our alumni include:
- Artists and art gallery managers
- Chefs and restaurant owners
- Computer programmers
- Doctors, chiropractors and pharmacists
- Marketing directors
- Nonprofit and NGO directors
- Policy analysts
- Teachers and professors
- Writers and editors