Requirements for the major in Spanish include:
- A minimum of 44 quarter hours of approved courses above the level of SPAN 2001
- Twelve of the 44 quarter hours must be from three 3000-level courses
- Four of the 44 quarter hours must be from SPAN 2100
- Four of the 44 quarter hours must be from SPAN 2300
- Four of the 44 quarter hours must be from SPAN 2350
- Four of the 44 quarter hours must be from SPAN 3990, which must be taken at DU
Note: For students who entered DU prior to fall 2009, all classes above SPAN 1003 can be applied to the Spanish major.
Qualified Spanish majors should consider fulfilling the requirements for Honors and Distinction in Spanish.
Students are advised to keep an eye on prerequisites:
- SPAN 2100 is a prerequisite for SPAN 2300 and 2350.
- SPAN 2300 is a prerequisite for Iberian-themed courses.
- SPAN 2350 is a prerequisite for Latin American-themed courses.
TRANSFER CREDIT POLICY
A maximum of 22 quarter hours of transfer credit from other institutions may be allowed toward major requirements. This might include study abroad, AP, IB and Spanish classes from other accredited universities.
Typically, in order to apply transfer credits to the major, the courses must have some equivalent in the Spanish program curriculum at the University of Denver. Students are encouraged to consult with their advisers or their study abroad advisers when seeking transfer of credit for Spanish.