Areas of Expertise/Research interests
- European philosophy
- political philosophy
- environmental philosophy
Current Research and projects
I am currently working on two major research projects.
The first is a book manuscript on The Figure of the Migrant (under contract with Stanford University Press). This project aims to develop a definition and political philosophy of the migrant that challenges the traditional one, based on the figure of the citizen. AHSS Faculty Spotlight: "Activism Leads to Professor's Research on Migration"
The manuscript engages theories of movement, place, displacement and ultimately argues for the revolutionary capacity of this figure in contemporary politics.
The second is on the relationship between Gilles Deleuze and Michel Foucault and includes several sub-projects:
- a book project—edited co-edited with Nicolae Morar and Daniel W. Smith— titled, "Between Deleuze and Foucault;"
- a journal issue of Foucault Studies titled, Foucault and Deleuze: Ethics, Politics, Psychoanalysis, co-edited with Nicolae Morar and Daniel W. Smith;
- a conference/workshop—organized with Nicolae Morar and Daniel W. Smith—titled "Between Deleuze and Foucault," held at Purdue University Nov. 30 - Dec. 1, 2012; and
- a transcription and translation of Gilles Deleuze's audio course lectures on Michel Foucault (1985-1986) as part of a grant from Purdue University, in collaboration with the Université de Paris VIII and published on La Voix de Deleuze.
For more information on these projects, visit our website, Between Deleuze and Foucault.
My work draws on contemporary European philosophy—especially the work of Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari, Michel Foucault, and Alain Badiou—and uses it to understand recent political events: revolutionary struggles, border and migration politics, and environmental resistance.
PhD, University of Oregon
MA, University of Oregon
BA, University of North Texas
- The Figure of the Migrant (Stanford University Press, under contract).
- Returning to Revolution: Deleuze, Guattari, and Zapatismo (Edinburgh University Press, 2012)
- Between Deleuze and Foucault (in progress)
Edited Journal Issues.
- Foucault and Deleuze Foucault Studies 17 (2014).
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles.
- Alain Badiou and the Sans-Papiers, Angelaki: Journal of the Theoretical Humanities, forthcoming.
- Zapatismo and the Global Origins of Occupy, Journal for Cultural and Religious Theory vol. 12 no. 3 (2013): 20–35.
Deleuze, Occupy, and the Actuality of Revolution, Theory & Event 16.1 (2013).
- Translated into Turkish as "Deleuze, işgal ve Devrimi'nin Güncelliği," in Gezinin Yeryüzü Kardeşleri, trans. Sinem Ozer, ed. Sinem Ozer (Istanbul: Otonom Publishing, 2014).
- The Crossroads of Power: Michel Foucault and the U.S./Mexico Border Wall, Foucault Studies 15 (2012): 110–128.
Violence at the Borders: Nomadic Solidarity and Non-Status Migrant Resistance, Radical Philosophy Review 14, no. 2 (2012): 241–257.
- Translated into French as "Violence aux frontières," in Frontières, trans. Hélène Clemente (Paris: Éditions D-Fiction, 2014), forthcoming.
Constructivism and the Future Anterior of Radical Politics, Anarchist Developments in Cultural Studies 1 (2010): 73–94.
- Reviewed by Davina Cooper in Jotwell: Equality (2011).
- A Post-Neoliberal Ecopolitics? Deleuze, Guattari, and Zapatismo, Philosophy Today 54, no. 2 (2010): 179–190.
- Expression, Immanence, and Constructivism: 'Spinozism' and Deleuze and Guattari, Deleuze Studies 2, no. 2 (2008): 201–219.
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters.
- Revolution and the Return to Metaphysics in Deleuze and Metaphysics (Lexington Books, 2013): forthcoming.
- Political Theory of the Mask, The Medes, 2013.
- Migrant Cosmopolitanism, e-International Relations, 2013.
- Zapatismo 20 Anos Depois: Bate papo com Thomas Nail, A Internacionalista [The Internationalist], December, 2013.
- On Deleuze and Zapatismo: An Interview with Thomas Nail at Critical-Theory.com (2013).
- Building a Sanctuary City: No One is Illegal–Toronto on Non-Status Migrant Justice, Upping the Anti: A Journal of Theory and Action 11 (2010): 149–162.
- Quentin Meillassoux, History and Event in Alain Badiou, Parrhesia: A Journal of Critical Philosophy 12 (2011): 1–11.
- Gilles Deleuze, Lectures de Cours sur Michel Foucault 1985-1986, La Voix de Gilles Deleuze.
- The Speculative Turn: Continental Materialism and Realism (Re-Press, 2011) Levi Bryant, Nick Srnicek, and Graham Harman eds. Scapegoat: Architecture | Landscape | Political Economy 3 (2012): 40.
- Gilles Deleuze & Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives (Columbia University Press, 2010) François Dosse, Foucault Studies 14 (2012): 218–222.
- Real Utopia: Participatory Society for the 21st Century (AK Press, 2008) Chris Spannos, ed. Capitalism, Nature, Socialism 20, no. 4 (December 2009): 112–114.
- Deleuze and Environmental Damage: Violence of the Text (Ashgate Publishing, 2006) Mark Halsey, Environmental Philosophy 3, no. 2 (2006): 64–66.
- The Politics of the Mask, The Huffington Post, 11/12/13.