Sturm Hall 264
2000 E. Asbury Ave.
Areas of expertise/research interests
Philosophy of Biology, Philosophy of Science, Philosophy of Psychology and Neuroscience (primary interests)
Metaphysics, Philosophy of Mind and Language, Logic, Philosophy of Economics (secondary interests)
Current research and projects
My main area of research is the philosophy of science, with particular emphasis on the fields of biology, psychology, neuroscience, and economics. I am especially interested in how advances in the so-called "special sciences" reshape central concepts in general philosophy of science, such as causation and explanation. I am currently working on a number of projects that lie at the interface of philosophy the natural sciences, and the social sciences, involving various topics such as counterfactual statements, dispositional properties, biological species, reverse inference in neuroscience, and decision-making in economics. I am also co-editing a collection of articles, in collaboration with Giovanni Boniolo, entitled Philosophy of Molecular Medicine: Foundational Issues in Research and Practice, which will be published by Routledge in 2016.
I joined the Department of Philosophy at the University of Denver in fall 2012 after completing a PhD in philosophy at Columbia University. In addition, I've held visiting appointment in the Foundations and Ethics of the Life Sciences program at the European School of Molecular Medicine, at the University of Urbino (Italy), and at the University of Macao (PRC). During my graduate studies, I held visiting appointments at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City, and at the Laboratory for Stem Cell Biology and Pharmacology of Neurodegenerative Diseases at the University of Milan. In 2011, I was awarded the Harriet Zuckerman Dissertation Fellowship in the History, Philosophy and Sociology of Science by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, and in 2013, I received the Columbia University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Distinguished Dissertation Award.
PhD, Columbia University
MA/BA, University of Milan
- "Unificatory Explanation," British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, Online first: DOI 10.1093/bjps/axv022
- "Counterfactual Reasoning in Molecular Medicine' In Boniolo & Nathan (eds.) Philosophy of Molecular Medicine: Foundational Issues in Theory and Practice, Routledge, 2016 (forthcoming)
- "The Nature of Species in Evolution" (with J. Cracraft) to appear in Scheiner and Mindel (eds), The Theory of Evolution, University of Chicago Press
- "Reverse Inference" (with G. Del Pinal), to appear in Philosophy Compass
"Causality at the Dawn of the 'Omics' Era in Medicine and Nephrology" (with C. Zoccali & D. Brancaccio) Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, forthcoming
- "Two Kinds of Reverse Inference in Cognitive Neuroscience" (with G. Del Pinal) to appear in Leefman and Hildt (eds), The Human Sciences After the Decade of the Brain, Elsevier
- "The Idealization of Causation in Mechanistic Explanation" (with A.C. Love, Philosophy of Science (forthcoming)
- "Redundant Causality and Explanatory Robustness" Minnesota Studies in the Philosophy of Science (forthcoming)
- "Mapping the Mind: Bridge Laws and the Psycho-Neural Interface" Synthese, 193, pp. 637-57 (with G. Del Pinal)
- "A Simulacrum Account of Dispositional Properties," Nous, 49 (2), pp. 253-74, 2015, doi: 10.1111/nous.12031
- "Should a Scientist Be Elegant?" Hektoen International, 7(1), 2015, with D. Brancaccio
- "Molecular Ecosystems," Biology and Philosophy 29(1), pp. 101-22, 2014 doi: 10.1007/s10539-013-9400-4
- "There and Up Again. On the Uses and Misuses of Neuroimaging in Psychology," Cognitive Neuropsychology, 30(4), pp. 233-52, 2013 (with G. Del Pinal) dx.doi.org/10.1080/02643294.2013.846254
- "Causation by Concentration," British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 55(2), pp. 191-212, 2014, doi:10.1093/bjps/axr056
- "Development and Natural Kinds: Some Lessons from Biology," Synthese, 191, pp. 539-56, 2014 (with A. Borghini)
- "The Importance of Being Elegant. A Discussion of Elegance in Nephrology and Biomedical Science" (with D. Brancaccio) Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 28, pp. 135-88, 2013
- "Ectopic Breast Cancer: History, Literature Review, Case Report and Perspective Suggestions," Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 37(4), pp. 746-49, 2013 (with E. Francone, F. Murelli, M.S. Bruno, E. Traverso and D. Friedman)
- "The Varieties of Molecular Explanation," Philosophy of Science, 79(2), 233-54 (2012)
A copy of my CV (pdf) can be downloaded here.
For more information, please visit my Academia.edu webpage.
- Philosophy of Molecular Medicine: Foundational Issues in Theory and Practice, Routledge, 2016 (forthcoming.) Co-edited with Giovanni Boniolo