Associate Professor, Undergraduate Adviser
Sturm Hall 262
Areas of expertise/Research interests
- ethical theory
- virtue ethics
- moral psychology
- applied ethics
- Greek moral philosophy
- philosophy of law
An associate professor of philosophy at the University of Denver, Candace L. Upton specializes in virtue ethics, ethical theory, moral psychology, philosophy of law, metaphysics and logic.
She has served as an interviewee/adviser for a number of institutions, including National Public Radio, KUSA, KWGN, KOA radio, Westword and Denver's 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
She is currently working on her second book.
PhD, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
BA, University of Northern Colorado
- Review of Christian Miller's Moral Character: An Empirical Theory (Oxford University Press, 2013) and Character and Moral Psychology (Oxford University Press, 2014). Mind 124 (2015) 656-663.
- Review of Mark Alfano's Character as Moral Fiction (Cambridge University Press, 2013). Ethics 124 (2014) 598-602.
- "What Virtues are There?," The Handbook of Virtue Ethics (Acumen Publishers, 2013).
- Situational Traits of Character: Dispositional Foundations and Implications for Moral Psychology and Friendship (Rowman & Littlefield, 2009).
- Virtue Ethics and Moral Psychology: The Situationism Debate, The Journal of Ethics 13 (2009) 101-289.
- "The Structure of Character," The Journal of Ethics 13 (2009) 175-193.
- "Virtue Ethics and Moral Psychology: The Situationism Debate," The Journal of Ethics 13 (2009) 103-115.
- "Context, Character, and Consequentialist Friendships," Utilitas 20 (2008) 334-347.
- "Virtue Ethics, Character, and Normative Receptivity," Journal of Moral Philosophy 5 (2008) 51-66.
- "A Contextual Account of Character Traits," Philosophical Studies 122 (2005) 133-151.
- Review of John Doris's Lack of Character (Cambridge University Press, 2002), The Journal of Value Inquiry (2005) 39: 507-512.
- Review of Paul Sheldon Davies' Norms of Nature: Naturalism and the Nature of Functions (MIT Press, 2001). Essays in Philosophy (2004) 5.