You can earn a BS in psychology by meeting these requirements:
- Satisfy all University BS degree requirements (see bulletin).
- Major in psychology with:
- a) two minors (one in natural or computer science or mathematics), OR
- b) an additional natural or computer science major, or a mathematics major with one minor.
- MATC 1200 (Calculus for Business and Social Sciences) is recommended for students with appropriate background but is not required.
- Complete at least 45-credit hours of psychology courses (courses with a PSYC prefix).
- If you entered DU before fall 2010 and used SOCS 1710 (Mind and Behavior) or PSYC 1001 (Foundation of Psychological Science) to satisfy part of the SOCS requirement, those hours satisfy the "foundations" category but do not count toward the required 45-credit hours.
- STAT 1300/INFO 1020 or BIOL 2090 satisfy the "introductory statistics" category, but the hours do not count toward the major.
- Complete at least 25-credit hours of upper-division PSYC courses (2000 level and above).
- For a PSYC course to count toward a requirement and the minimum hours, you must earn a C- or better in the course.
- Earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 overall AND within the major.
Foundations (only 1 may be taken)
- SOCS 1710, Mind and Behavior OR
- PSYC 1001, Foundations in Psychology
Introductory Statistics, 1 course
- PSYC 2300, Statistics
Research Methods , 1 course or sequence
- PSYC 3050, Research Methods OR
- PSYC 2751 & 2752, Junior Honors (2-course sequence)
Content Courses, One course each from 3 of the following 4 content areas
- PSYC 2500, Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 2510, Personality (only if taken as PSYC 2510)
- PSYC 2520, Introduction to Clinical Psychology (only if taken as PSYC 2520)
- PSYC 2530, Child Psychopathology (only if taken as PSYC 2530)
Cognition and Neuroscience
- PSYC 2031, Intro to Cognitive Neuroscience
- PSYC 2040, Cognition & Learning (only if taken as PSYC 2040)
- PSYC 2070, Child and Lifespan Development*
- PSYC 2050, Child Development
- PSYC 2055, Development Across Lifespan
* PSYC 2070 combines 2050 and 2055, and students are not usually encouraged to take 2070 if either 2050 or 2055 have been taken previously
- PSYC 2740, Social Psychology
- PSYC 2150, Motivation & Emotion (only if taken as PSYC 2150)
Psychology Senior Assessment, 1 course; 0 credits
- PSYC 3999, Psychology Senior Assessment