Our Field Experiences course lets you apply what you learn in our program to work in mental health and/or social work settings. This is a great way to learn whether clinical work is a good fit with your interests and skills.
This course begins fall quarter and continues throughout the academic year, requiring a 9-month commitment. Students spend 12-16 hours per week at an off-campus placement in addition to several hours on class-related activities.
In recent years, students have worked at The Denver Center for Crime Victims, Children's Hospital Colorado, The Mental Health Center of Denver, The Arapahoe House, and other sites in the Denver metropolitan area.
Class size is limited. You must meet the following admission requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old by Oct. 1 of the fall semester.
- Have completed any two of the following four courses:
- Child Development, PSYC 2050
- Child Psychopathology, PSYC 2530
- Abnormal Psychology, PSYC 2500
- Introduction to Clinical Psychology, PSYC 2520
- Complete an application and screening interview.
- Obtain the instructor's permission.
Priority for enrollment in this class will be given to students with:
- a strong GPA
- career aspirations in the mental health service field
- good interpersonal skills
Students who enroll are required to enroll for 3- to 5-credit hours during fall and winter quarters, and 1- to 5-credit hours during spring quarter. This flexible policy accommodates people who have constraints on their enrollment requirements. Regardless of how many credit hours you take, we expect you to complete 12-16 hours per week at your internship site and complete all course activities.
If you're interested in enrolling in this program, you should attend an informational meeting in the spring quarter that precedes the year in which you wish to take the class. Find details about this meeting from Dr. Jill Holm-Denoma at firstname.lastname@example.org or from our psychology advisers. If you cannot attend the meeting, contact Dr. Holm-Denoma to schedule an interview no later than April of the academic year before you wish to enroll in the class.