Application requirements vary between our Certificate programs. For information on your specific area of interest please click the program below.
Please submit the following to apply to the Lamont School of Music Certificate Programs at the University of Denver:
Online Applications for the Lamont School of Music Certificate Programs at the University of Denver must be submitted online. Admission decisions are rolling; however, scholarship priority will be given to those who apply before January 15th. To apply online, visit: https://du-grad.edu.185r.net/application. A $65 non-refundable application fee is required for an application to be processed.
2. Transcripts / Course and Degree Prerequisites and Requirements
One (1) official transcript from the institution of your highest degree earned. An undergraduate degree is necessary. All U.S. transcripts must be official and received in the Office of Graduate Studies in a sealed envelope. University of Denver students and alumni do not need to provide DU transcripts as these will be requested by the Office of Graduate Studies. Transcripts issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Students who have earned a degree outside the U.S. must also submit proof of graduation, typically through a degree certificate or diploma. If you have been educated outside the U.S., we encourage you to contact the Office of Graduate Studies for assistance regarding transcript-related materials. DU's in-house foreign credential evaluation may take up to four weeks. This evaluation must be complete by the program's stated deadline. Applicants with education credentials from outside of the U.S. are encouraged to apply early.
3. Test Scores
Non-native English speakers are required to provide scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Please note: this requirement is independent of citizenship status. The minimum TOEFL score accepted by DU is 80 (iBT) or 550 (paper-based). The minimum IELTS score accepted by DU is 6.0. Non-native English speakers who hold a post-secondary degree from an institution where English is the only language of instruction and examination or who hold a regionally accredited baccalaureate degree from a U.S. institution are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.
4. Personal Statement
A personal statement of at least 300 words is required. Your essay should include information concerning your life, education, experiences, interests and reason for applying to DU. The statement should be submitted via upload through the online application process.
The resume should be submitted via upload through the online application process.
6. Recommendation Letters
- Suzuki applicants: Two (2) letters of recommendation. Recommendations must speak to the applicant's character because of the interaction students in the program will have with both the general public and children.
- Conducting applicants: Three (3) letters of recommendation. Recommendations must come from someone who has seen the applicant conduct.
- It is optional for all other applicants to submit recommendation letters
7. Submit the Following to the Lamont School of Music, Office of Admission
- Jazz and Commercial Music Certificate applicants: Submit a pre-screen video recording through the Lamont Application.
- Voice Certificate applicants: Submit a pre-screen video recording through the Lamont Application.
- Orchestral Conducting applicants: Submit a pre-screen video recording through the Lamont Application.
- All other Certificate Applicants need to schedule and complete a Music Audition. Please indicate your date preferences on the graduate application.
8. Application Status
We encourage you to be actively engaged in the admission process. You can check your application status online at webcentral.du.edu. Mailing Address Mail official transcripts and any supplemental admission materials not submitted with the online application to: University of Denver Office of Graduate Studies Mary Reed Building, Room 5 2199 S. University Blvd. Denver, CO 80208-4802 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are accepted, you will be asked to submit a copy of your passport, Financial Verification Form and provide supporting financial verification showing cash availability or official proof of scholarship/governmental sponsorship as appropriate in your case (no photocopies will be accepted). We encourage you to submit these items early to ensure immigration papers can be issued in a timely manner. For more information, visit the Office of Graduate Studies Application Instructions page: http://www.du.edu/apply/graduates/applicationrequirements.html.