All Vocal Majors must submit a pre-screen audition video and submit via the Lamont Application. The contents of the recording should include the same requirements as the live audition. To receive priority consideration, please submit your pre-screen no later than January 15th. Recordings received after this date will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Applicants who pass the pre-screen audition will be invited to perform a live audition on a regular audition date. Recordings do not need to be professional or studio recordings. A video with good audio quality is sufficient. Audition materials received after the deadlines listed below will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
If invited to audition live, Lamont will provide an accompanist. Simply bring a well-marked piano-vocal score to your audition. Applicants are invited to bring their own accompanist, if they would like to do so.
Undergraduate (BM and BA)
- Two pieces, with at least one of them classical in nature, preferably of contrasting character, exhibiting your skill, technique, and understanding of musical phrasing and expression
- Technical skills and sight reading tests may be asked for at your live audition
Graduate (MM) & Certificate in Performance
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution of higher learning
- A minimum of one academic year of study in one of the following foreign languages: French, German, Italian, or Spanish
Perform All Compositions from memory:
- One operatic aria in original language
- One oratorio aria
- One French art song
- One German art song
- One Italian art song
- One American or English art song, preferably twentieth-century
- Perform melodic memory and sight reading tests
Applicants who pass the pre-screening portion of the audition will be invited for a live audition in Denver. Live auditions are approximately 15 minutes in length and a piano accompanist will be provided.
Applicants unable to travel to Denver
Applicants unable to travel to Denver for a live audition must submit a recorded VIDEO audition. Recordings received after January 15 will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This video will be used for both the pre-screening and the final audition. See below for additional requirements for the recorded auditions.
- Video recordings must be submitted on a DVD or emailed to Lamont Admissions as a movie file or youtube link
- Recordings must be of good sound quality and include all required repertoire
- Please clearly mark your name, area of study and instrument on your recording (submissions will not be returned)
- Recordings must be received by the deadlines mentioned.