Lamont Summer Pre-College Academy 2013
June 16 – June 30, 2013
Promoting Rich Program Diversity- Building Lifelong Friendships
Director: Mary Beth Barteau Shaffer
The Lamont Summer Pre-College Academy is an inspiring and motivating summer music camp for instrumentalists, singers and composers, ages 14-18. It is hosted by the University of Denver's Lamont School of Music in the beautiful state-of-the-art facilities of the Robert and Judi Newman Center for the Performing Arts. The Academy provides students with a broad spectrum of music study as well as a healthy approach to all facets of the aspiring musician's life. The Academy offers a wide variety of major and minor options.
- Private lessons and master classes with renowned faculty
- Large ensembles, including choir, orchestra, wind ensemble
- Chamber ensembles, including traditional classical, modern/world music, and music theatre
- Music theory – all levels
- Fun activities in Denver
- Housing in the University of Denver Residential Halls
- Seminars and performance classes
- Performance opportunities in chamber, solo and large ensemble
- More about music program components
- Merit Scholarships: February 15, 2013
- Financial Need Scholarships: February 15, 2013
- Regular Applications: March 15, 2013
- Concerto Competition Pre-Approval: April 15, 2013
- Concerto Competition: May 15, 2013
- Tuition and Payment Dates Summer Academy 2013
- Application Form Summer Academy 2013
- Merit Scholarship Application 2013
- Need Based Scholarship Application 2013
- Teacher Recommendation Form 2013
- Concerto Aria Competition Rules, Pre-Approval Form 2013
- Concerto Aria Application 2013
- Regular instrumental & vocal applicants: CD or DVD recording of two contrasting pieces or movements.
- For merit scholarship applicants, recording of three pieces or movements. (See specific requirements as stated on the merit scholarship application form.)
- For composition major applicants: PDF files (and midi files if available,) of two original works.
- Merit scholarship composition applicants must submit three original works.
- The Music Professional
- Musicians' Health
- Modern/World Music
- Individual Practice Independent Study
- More about the new optional class tracks
The Lamont School of Music Summer Pre-College Academy is committed to creating a positive and stimulating musical experience by providing excellent teaching in a motivating atmosphere.
Rave Reviews from Academy Students
"I cannot express in words what an amazing experience camp was. Every single day was filled with fun and laughter, and I learned something new every day. The faculty and counselors were all so warm and the kids were all so nice, and the campus was beautiful! I really loved meeting and becoming friends with such amazing people who share a love for classical music. It was such a wonderful environment. I just really had a blast. Thank you so much for making this possible." - Freddy L. (pianist)
"This camp challenged your mind, your body and your musicality. This camp has literally changed my life goals and will always be a part of me. So thanks to all who helped make this camp unforgettable and special. This thank you goes out to my peers, the counselors, the coordinators and of course, DU's Lamont School of Music." - Jason M. (clarinetist)
"Well, Lamont was wonderful to say the least. This was by far the most amazing group of musicians I have had the privilege to be around in my whole life." - James H. (tenor)