June 15 –June 29, 2014
Rich Program Diversity
Classical and Jazz Studies
Director: Mary Beth Barteau Shaffer
Assistant to the Director: Rachael Hutchings
The Lamont Summer Pre-College Academy is an inspiring and motivating summer music camp for instrumentalists, singers, pianists and composers, ages 14–18. It is hosted by the University of Denver's Lamont School of Music in the beautiful state-of-the-art facilities of the Robert and Judi Newman Center for the Performing Arts. The Academy provides students with a healthy and balanced lifestyle by offering a broad spectrum of music study as well as a variety of social and recreational opportunities—all facets of the aspiring musician's life. The Academy offers a wide variety of major and minor options.
- Private lessons and master classes with artist faculty
- Large ensembles, including choir, orchestra, wind ensemble
- Chamber ensembles, including traditional classical, jazz combos, experimental, steel drums and music theatre
- Special topic optional class tracks
- Performance classes
- Master classes
- Concerto/Aria Competition
- Baroque performance practice for strings
- Voice diction for voice majors
- Piano classes for piano majors with studies including piano literature, technique & collaborative piano
- Jazz repertoire classes for jazz majors
- College preparatory theory at all levels, including jazz theory for jazz majors
- Performance opportunities in chamber, solo and large ensemble
- Fun recreational activities, both on and off campus
- On campus housing in modern air conditioned, suite style rooms
- More about music program components
Applications, Tuition & Deadlines
- Merit Scholarship Applications & Recording: February 15, 2014
- Work Study Scholarship Applications: February 15, 2014
- Financial Need Scholarship Applications: February 15, 2014
- Regular Applications & Recording: March 15, 2014
- Concerto/Aria Competition Pre-Approval Application: April 15, 2014
- Concerto/Aria Competition Application & Recording: May 15, 2014
- Tuition and Payment Due Dates Summer Academy 2014
Please note that all merit, work study and financial need scholarship applications require both the scholarship application form and the regular application form by February 15, 2014.
Applications & Forms:
- Regular Application 2014
- Merit Scholarship Application 2014
- Work Study Scholarship Application 2014 (Choir Accompanist)
- Work Study Scholarship Application 2014 (Music Librarian)
- Need Based Scholarship Application 2014
- Teacher Recommendation Form 2014
- Concerto/Aria Competition Rules & Pre-Approval Form 2014
- Concerto/Aria Competition Application 2014
- Tuition & Payment Due Dates & Credit Card Payment Form 2014
- Jazz Studies Application
Classical Studies Audition Requirements:
- Regular instrumental & vocal applicants: online submission of two contrasting pieces or movements.
- Merit scholarship applicants: online submission of three pieces or movements. (See specific requirements as stated on the merit scholarship application form.)
- For composition major applicants: PDF files (and midi files if available) of two original works.
- Merit scholarship composition applicants must submit three original works.
Jazz Studies Audition Requirements:
- Regular applicants: online submission of two jazz tunes of contrasting tempos and forms selected from any of the Jamey Aebersold play-along series ( www.jazzbooks.com). Please perform along with the Aebersold play-along recording.
- Merit scholarship applicants: an additional piece is required at a tempo greater than 240 beats per minute.
2014 Academy Acceptance Packet & Guidebook
- 2014 Housing Policies & Procedures
- 2014 Summer Academy Guide Book
- Arrival and Departure Information
- Lamont Summer Academy Acceptance & Conduct
- Lamont Summer Academy Acceptance & Conduct (over 16)
- 2014 Health Form
- Recreation Ritchie Center Form
- Tuition Options, Payment Due Dates & Credit Card Form
Special Topic Optional Class Tracks – Student's Choice!
- The Complete Musician
- Experimental Music/Steel Drum Ensemble
- Independent Practice
- Jazz Repertoire
*Note: Jazz Studies Majors are required to take Jazz Repertoire Class for their Optional Class Track. Read more under Program Components
Watch us on YouTube
The Lamont School of Music Summer Academy is committed to providing a positive and inspirational musical experience for serious pre-college musicians, promoting musical excellence, rich program diversity and lifelong friendships under the guidance of outstanding artist-teachers.
Reviews from Academy Students
"I loved the camp! It was the best music camp I have ever been to!" —Kai K. (bassoonist)
"I cannot express in words what an amazing experience camp was. Every single day was filled with fun and laughter, and I learned something new every day. The faculty and counselors were all so warm and the kids were all so nice, and the campus was beautiful! I really loved meeting and becoming friends with such amazing people who share a love for classical music. It was such a wonderful environment. I just really had a blast." —Freddy L. (pianist)
"I feel that my son's experiences at Lamont's Summer Program have been the key to his transition into this new and very competitive atmosphere at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music." —Debra H. (parent of vocalist)
"This camp was incredible for me, learning, meeting, playing with other musicians. After this camp I feel more passionate for music and have so many projects I want to make a reality when I am in college. I just can't thank you enough for this great opportunity!" —Cesar G. (cellist)
"One of the most memorable and influential musical experiences of my life." —Josh G. (clarinetist)