It's time to prepare for study abroad in Russia! The University of Denver offers the exciting Cherrington Global Scholars Program, which ensures that students who study in Russia for a quarter will pay no costs beyond what they would have paid in tuition and board at DU. This page gives information and links to select programs in Russia on which DU students have participated. The University of Denver is officially affiliated with the American Council of Teachers of Russian (ACTR -- see below), which runs some of the best programs in the former Soviet Union. ACTR is the official program in Russia recognized under the Cherrington Global Scholars Program. ACTR can also help with funding, though many DU students have received full and partial funding, both from external and internal sources. Study in Russia is an unparalleled experience with the thrill of seeing a totally different world and putting your language to the test.
Before we talk about going to Russia,
- There are a few superb programs available during the summers in the United States. These programs usually require use of the student's Russian 24/7 and are situated in picturesque areas of the country. One of the most famous of these is the Russian School at Middlebury College in Vermont. DU Russian students have participated in this program with great success.
- For general information, visit the Middlebury College Language Schools website.
And now onto programs in Russia and the former Soviet Union:
- The ACTR is officially affiliated with the University of Denver, and is the only choice for students participating in DU's Cherrington Global Scholars Program, which offers study abroad experiences at no extra cost beyond DU tuition. The Russian Language and Literature Program recommends to all students that they participate on ACTR's programs in Russia, which are varied, demanding, and safe. ACTR also can sometimes provide grants to help defray any extra costs arising from study in Russia. ACTR is the granddaddy of all exchange programs with the former Soviet Union (along with CIEE below).
- A set of intensive Russian language programs at different universities in Russia. Also programs in Central Asia, Theatre and Art Restoration programs in Saint Petersburg. There are programs at Irkutsk State University and at the Moscow International School of Business at the Plekhanov Russian Academy of Economics, among others. A new program works with both Russian and Chinese universities, concentrating on Sino-Russian relations.
- Visit the SRAS website for more information.
- Find out more about what it's like to study in Moscow here.
- Sponsors excellent semester, year-long, and summer programs in Russia. Visit the study abroad web site for information on this and other programs.
- Has one of the oldest and best-organized programs in Saint Petersburg. This Program
is quite competitive but is definitely worth the effort.
For more information on study abroad in general, other exchange programs, and academic requirements for study abroad as a DU student, visit the Office of Internationalization website.