Spanish majors are required to take 44 quarter hours of course work in Spanish above the level of Spanish 2001. A maximum of 22 quarter hours of transfer credit from other institutions may be allowed toward major requirements. The following courses must be taken as a portion of the 44 total hours required:
- Four (4) of these 44 credit hours must be from SPAN 2100, or equivalent*
- Four (4) of these 44 credit hours must be from SPAN 2300, or equivalent
- Four (4) of these 44 credit hours must be from SPAN 2350, or equivalent
- A minimum of twelve (12) of these 44 credit hours must be taken at the 3000 level**
- Four (4) of these 44 credit hours must be from SPAN 3900 taken at DU
*SPAN 2100 is a prerequisite for SPAN 2300 or 2350
**(SPAN 2300 is a prerequisite for Iberian-themed courses, while SPAN 2350 serves as a prerequisite for Latin American-themed courses)
***Students who entered DU before academic year 2009-2010 only are required to take one of the culture classes (either 2300 or 2350); Students who entered DU during or after academic year 2009-2010 are required to take both culture classes (2300 and 2350).
****Qualified Spanish Majors may also wish to consider fulfilling the requirements for "Honors and Departmental Distinction in Spanish."