DU Theatre is implementing a new system of courses for experiencing and learning about Theatre production. These courses replace DU's venerable ensemble program.
THEA 1400 run crew/tech schedules
Run Crew (Production Studio) schedule- Winter 2017- 1/9/17
The Basics- requirements
Majors/Minors will complete:
These requirements are for students entering Fall 2013- see below for continuing Major requirements.
THEA 1200/1300 Tech and Costume Studio: Experience in Costume and Scene Shops.
- Majors take 5 Studios. Minors take 2.
- All students must take one Tech Studio/THEA 1200 (Lighting and Scenery) and one Costume Studio/THEA 1300. For the additional studios, students may choose additional Tech or Costume Studios for a total of five.
- Studios take place MWF 2:00-6pm during the quarter, and continue until the last day of class. Students are required to attend all scheduled sessions.
- Studio does have several days off during the quarter- see Studio calendar for details.
- Each Studio student is responsible for one Saturday workday during the quarter.
THEA 1400 Production Studio: Practical experience in a Production
- Majors take 5 Studios. Minors take 3.
- Students may receive Studio credit for acting, designing, dramaturgy, directing and run crew for approved DU Theatre productions.
- Students may count Acting/performance for a maximum of 3 Studios. The others must be Run/Design/Directing/Dramaturgy.
- Working on productions in 2 different Capstone cycles counts as a Studio credit.
- Staged readings and independent projects cannot be used for Studio credit.
- Students must sign up for Production Studio credit prior to the Tech of the production they have chosen.
- No retroactive credit.
Sign up like a regular class during registration:
THEA 1200: Tech Studio
THEA 1300: Costume Studio
If the course is closed, please e-mail Steven at email@example.com. We will be balancing each class, and registration may be limited for each section.
- Tech and Costume Studio begin Monday of Week 2- you must be signed up prior to this date. Costume Studio has a limit of 10 students- sign up early for this if you want to get in!
- You can only take a Costume Studio OR a Tech Studio in any single quarter. They share the same shop time, so you can't double those up.
THEA 1400: Production Studio
Sign up IMMEDIATELY after casting for both acting and design/run. You will need to add the class via add slip.
- Run Crew slots are on a space-available basis. Please plan ahead!
- You can take a Production Studio (show-related) and a Tech/Costume Studio at the same time- plan ahead- it's a big time commitment.
How Am I doing?
Track your progress- below are two spreadsheets listing completed credits. This information was compiled from Shop hour sheets, programs, etc. If there is a problem, please e-mail Steven at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These sheets will NO LONGER be updated after 8/13/14- now you can just look at your transcript/APR.
Tech/Costume Studio Completion Information (updated to Spring 2014- 8/13/14)
Production Studio Completion Information (updated to Spring 2014- 8/13/14)
Starting in the Fall 2015, for continuing majors:
- The number of shows (acting/run crew) you need to work on is FIVE
- Up to THREE 1400 credits can be performance.
- At least TWO 1400 credits will be in run crew or design/tech/directing/dramaturgy positions.
- There is no limit to the number of design/tech/directing roles you can count as Production Studios.
- The number of Shops you need to complete (costume/scenery/lighting) will drop from six to FIVE. You must take at LEAST one Costume and One Tech.
Still Wondering? Use our handy-dandy Handout! Explains:
- Ensemble/Credit/Studio Explanation
- Convert Ensemble/Credit to Studios