Skip navigation

Tuition Expenses

Make an investment with lifelong returns.


The following chart lists the minimum expenses for undergraduate international students at the University of Denver for the 2014-2015 academic year. These estimates do not include clothing expenses, international travel or local travel. Moreover, the estimates quoted below assume a moderate lifestyle in which students share living quarters and expenses with a roommate. Tuition payments are made on a quarterly basis, usually two to four weeks prior to the beginning of each quarter.


Per Quarter

Per Year (3 quarters)

Tuition (12 to 18 credit hours)



Student Fees (maximum, annual)



Annual Tuition and Fees (SUBTOTAL)



Living Expenses (estimated)



Books/Supplies/Health Insurance



Annual Expenses (SUBTOTAL)






It is mandatory that all DU students have health insurance. Students are required to participate in the DU Student Health Insurance Plan or provide proof of other adequate health insurance coverage. Adequate health insurance is defined as having at least a $500,000 aggregate lifetime maximum per condition or per insured; a prescription benefit; including medical and mental health benefits; and co-payments and out of pocket maximums the student can afford. If you do not already have an insurance plan, one may be purchased for $2,420 through DU for the 2013-2014 academic year.

Most students will also be required to bring or purchase a laptop computer. For information on required specifications, leasing and purchasing, please visit our website at The average cost of a laptop computer is approximately $1,000 USD.

The academic year consists of three quarters or nine months. If you choose to remain in the United States during the summer quarter (three months), you will be responsible for additional living expenses/books/ supplies (approx. $5,336). If you take classes in the summer, you will also be responsible for additional tuition and fees (approx. $13,569). Please prepare your finances accordingly.

If you plan to bring your family, you will be required to verify additional funds for their living expenses. The estimated expenses for each accompanying dependent are as follows: Spouse: $3,960 per academic year (9 months) Child: $3,960 per academic year (9 months)

Please prepare your finances accordingly. All rates listed on this page are subject to change.


The University of Denver's commitment to international students and scholastic excellence is exemplified by a number of merit-based scholarships, awarded to new first-year and transfer undergraduate international students annually. All qualified applicants are given automatic consideration for these scholarships; there is no separate application. SAT or ACT results and class rankings are necessary to determine eligibility for each of these merit-based awards. Most scholarships are renewable. With rare exceptions, no scholarship covers the full cost of attendance.

Undergraduate Scholarship

Criteria for Competition


Merit-based Scholarships $13,000 to $23,000 per year for first-year students $8,000 to $12,000 per year for transfer students

Admission standards for international students vary based on the educational system of the country in which they have attended school. Typically, admitted students have earned the equivalent of As and Bs in a demanding, college preparatory curriculum. Applicants who have shown academic achievements beyond these criteria will be considered for merit-based scholarships.

All applicants are considered for this scholarship. No special application is required. 

Music Activity Scholarship

Audition for Lamont School of Music, music major

Lamont School of Music 2344 E. Iliff Ave. Denver, CO 80208, USA 303.871.6400 fax 303.871.3118

Athletic Activity Grant

Outstanding talent and demonstrated athletic ability

Department of Athletics University of Denver Denver, CO 80208, USA 303.871.3669 fax 303.871.3471

American Indian/First Nations Scholarship (full tuition, fees, books, room and board)

Documentation of American Indian/First Nations bloodlines

Office of Undergraduate Admission 2197 S University Blvd. Denver, CO 80208, USA 303.871.2036 fax 303.871.3301

Graduate students should contact their departments regarding scholarship opportunities.


International students may work on campus a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session and a maximum of 37.5 hours during vacations. On-campus positions are extremely limited. After nine consecutive months of enrollment, and under very limited circumstances, students may apply for permission to work off campus through the International Student and Scholar Services office. Dependents of students holding an F-1 Student Visa are not permitted to work under any circumstances.