Graduate Endowed Scholarship Matching Program
Funding for graduate scholarships constitutes one of DU’s most important long-term priorities. Graduate scholarships enable the University to attract mature learners who have demonstrated exceptional ability and dedication as students, and who possess the potential to become leaders in their chosen discipline. In particular, endowed scholarships are critical because they supply permanent funding that strengthens DU’s ability to compete for the most promising individuals year after year.
Accordingly, the University has initiated a matching program to increase endowed scholarships for graduate students. The Board of Trustees has designated $10 million of DU’s strategic reserves to match commitments to new and existing scholarship endowments dollar for dollar. By leveraging new scholarship commitments with University resources, this program enables our most generous supporters to double the impact of their personal gifts while establishing a lasting personal legacy at DU.
Overview of Program Provisions:
- ■ Matching program end date: June 30, 2013 ($5 million available each year to match gifts in FY 2012 and FY 2013)
- ■ Purpose of gift: graduate endowed scholarships based on merit or need, or a combination of two. May be designated for a specific college or academic unit; preference may be given for merit)
- ■ Incremental funding: Awards will be used to decrease students’ unmet need
- ■ New or existing fund:Donor may establish and name a new fund or make a commitment to a qualifying existing fund
- ■ Minimum gift/commitment required: $25,000
- ■ Matching ratio: 1 to 1 for all qualifying gifts
- ■ Eligible methods of giving and timing of match • Outright gift of cash – match paid upon receipt of gift • Pledge of 5 years or less – match paid as pledge payments are received • Outright gift of securities/real property – match for appraised value paid upon receipt of gift • Life income gifts – match for full value paid upon funding of gift vehicle • Binding bequest agreement – match for full value paid upon signing of agreement* • Other gift arrangements subject to review