The Amache Silk Screen Shop was organized on June 1, 1943 at the request of the U.S. Navy. Amache had the only silk screen shop in all of the internment camps. "Its success is accredited to the WRA supervisor and the evacuee personnel of forty-five members" (WRA 1944: 19).
The shop produced over 60,000 training-aid posters for the Navy between 1943-1944 (Schwartz 1979: 39). The WRA furnished adequate training materials and labor while the Navy provided all of the necessary materials for the posters. Many evacuees, after completing their training at the silk screen shop, obtained employment in outside shops.
Newspapers of Amache
Return to Amache