What began as an effort to understand and learn from the tragic events of September 11th has evolved into an important dialogue that aims to engage all residents of Colorado in a debate about our nation's history, responsibilities, values, dreams and hopes for the future.
The University hopes Bridges to the Future might help trigger a renaissance of civic engagement and community responsibility that will reveal itself in a variety of significant ways, including our in our willingess to:
- Turn out to vote
- Become involved in the critical issues facing our cities and towns
- Work on behalf of children
- Listen respectfully and with open minds to people whose opinions are different from ours
- Learn and even, perhaps, change
Our hope is that Bridges might serve to remind us of the great thinking--from often opposing viewpoints--that went into the construction of our country and will challenge us to lead our nation's future with the wisdom we have gained from its past.
Current Bridges to the Future Theme
The theme for the 2011-2012 Bridges to the Future season is "Undercurrents of the 2012 Election."
Former Bridges to the Future Themes
- 2012-2013: Impact of the 2012 Election
- 2011-2012: Undercurrents of the 2012 Election
- 2010-2011: 9/11: Ten Years After
- 2009-2010: China Rising
- 2008-2009: A Nation Still at Risk: The Future of Education
- 2007-2008: The Pursuit of Happiness
- 2006-2007: The Pursuit of Peace
- 2005-2006: Science, Technology and Values
- 2004-2005: Money: where does it come from, what does it do, where does it all go?
- 2003-2004: Nation-Building: Global and Local Challenges
- 2002-2003: American History and Values in Light of September 11th