A. General Complaint Policies and Procedures:
1. All Complaints received, including anonymous complaints will be investigated by the Department of Campus Safety
2. If you file a complaint, you can request that your identity can remain confidential to the official whom your complaint is about. If you request that your identity remain confidential, Campus Safety administration will contact you to determine what level of involvement you would like in the investigation.
3. Filing a complaint does not start a criminal investigation. If during the investigation it is discovered that criminal action took place during the incident, the Department of Campus Safety may, at it's discretion, disclose this information to the Denver Police Department. If you wish to file a criminal complaint, you must contact the Denver Police Department separately.
4.Any complaint that is governed by DU’s Board Approved Policy 3.10.010 that relates to discrimination, Title IX, equal opportunity, or retaliation. If the complaint is in regards to those matters the Title IX Office must complete the investigation. These cases are not considered internal affair matters. If you are unsure weather your complaint falls into this category, please contact the commander of Patrol services at 303.871.2139.
B. How to File a Complaint:
Complaints can be filed in two ways:
1. Informal complaints can be filed by by calling the Commander of Patrol Services at 303.871.2139. Informal complaints are generally minor in nature. The Commander of Patrol Services may determine, based on the information you've provided, that the complaint you've submitted is of a nature that requires a formal complaint. In that situation, the Commander will initiate an investigation on your behalf.
2. Formal complaints can be filed by filling out the online complaint form. Formal complaints are generally used for serious misconduct on the part of a Campus Safety Employee.
C. Next Steps after Filing Your Complaint:
1. You will receive a confirmation e-mail stating that your complaint has been received. Once your complaint is received, Campus Safety will make every possible effort to have an outcome to your complaint within thirty calendar days. In some extenuating circumstances, the investigation may take more than thirty days to complete. If this is the case, you will be notified.
2. A member of Campus Safety administration will contact you to determine how much involvement you would like to have in the investigative process. The administrator may also ask you questions to help clarify the exact nature of your complaint.
3. An investigation will begin.
a. Campus Safety will assign an investigator who has no involvement in the situation which is the subject of your complaint.
b. Depending on your wishes for involvement, you may be contacted by the investigator if any clarification is needed.
c. Witnesses will be contacted by the investigator
d. If necessary, practical and available, video surveillance footage, photographs, e-mails, (sent from du.edu accounts) telephone records/recordings (DU telephone only) and any other physical evidence may be reviewed.
4. The investigation will be completed and a determination regarding culpability will be made. Disciplinary action will be taken as appropriate if the Campus Safety official is found to be responsible.
5. The complainant will be made aware of the results of the investigation via certified letter sent through the United States Postal Office. In general, complaniants are only made aware of the results of the investigation and not the specific disciplinary action that was taken as a result of the complaint.