Clean up Your Profile
It's no secret that employers are looking at your online profiles, which is why we recommend taking a look at your Facebook page before you start your job search.
Here are just a few things you can do to make sure your Facebook profile doesn't hurt your chances of landing a job:
- If you are tagged in any photos that aren't work appropriate, make them private, remove the tag or delete the photo.
- Remove any negative comments about jobs or employers.
- Set your privacy settings appropriately. If you're posting things that only your friends should see, make sure they're not public.
- Remember that there is never a guarantee of total privacy online. Post photos, opinions, and comments that you feel proud of.
Engage with Companies
You can also use Facebook to research and engage with potential employers.
- "Like" fan pages of organizations that you are interested in working for, whether in non-profit, government, small business or corporate fields.
- Comment and engage with the organizations. Follow links their blog and company announcements.
- "Like" and engage with professional associations in your field.