Hosted by the University of Denver
Keeping the Dream Alive: Advising the Immigrant Student to College
Friday, October 18, 2013
WHAT | presenters | schedule & E-PROGRAM | workshops | registration | partners | resources
What is KDA?
As counselors, teachers, administers and community members, supporting the college dreams of undocumented students is part of our everyday lives. We know well the barriers that undocumented students face in accessing higher education. In supporting them, we face our own uncertainties and struggle to best advise them with limited resources, unclear guidelines and institutions not yet prepared to answer the call for their unique needs.
This one-day conference will attempt to try to answer many of our daily questions such as:
- What are the ‘best practices’ and options for advising undocumented students who are applying to college, specifically in Colorado?
- Where is the information I can trust in regard to scholarship opportunities and specific student pathways so that lives on hold can become an actual plan?
- What are the most current laws that impact the students I am advising?
- What are institutions of higher education doing to best serve students with DACA status and those who do not have this status?
The goal of the full-day Conference is to provide a safe and open space for educators, professionals and caring individuals who work to support these unique group of students to share postsecondary advising strategies.
It is the committee’s hope that this event will engender an ongoing dialogue for those in the counseling, teaching, advising and pre-collegiate professions to best serve all students.
The Keeping the Dream Alive Conference is in its 3rd year and was born out of the passions and concerns from students themselves. The event is organized by a volunteer committee representing organizations including:
- Bruce Randolph School (BRS)
- College in Colorado
- College Summit (CS)
- Denver Scholarship Foundation (DSF)
- Higher Education Access Alliance (HEAA)
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF)
- Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver)
- Pi Lambda Chi Latina Sorority, Inc.
- Sigma Lambda Beta Fraternity, Inc., University of Denver Chapter
- Together Colorado (SLB)
- University of Denver (DU)
Contact Leticia Trevino or Jan Daning.
All media questions, please contact: Nancy Hernandez by email or 303-927-8242.
The planning Committee also thanks Peck, Shaffer & Williams, LLP, and the University of Denver for their financial contribution to help make this conference possible!