At the annual LGBTIQ&A Celebration Gala, we present the following awards. Past recipients over the years include:
Out Through the Mind Award (for tenure-track faculty) – recognizing contributions to intellectual inquiry about queer life.
Lavender Giraffe Award (for non-tenure-track faculty) – recognizing the courage to “stick out” their necks for LGBTIQ&A issues through teaching and research.
Master of (Gr)Advocacy Award (for graduate students) – recognizing their role as a LGBTIQ&A educators among graduate students.
Mover & Shaker Award (for undergraduates) – recognizing their gutsy energy in creating a safe, fun community for LGBTIQ&A undergrads.
- 2011 – Liam Flannagan (Sociology)
- 2011 – Charlie Severance-Medaris (Political Science and Public Policy)
- 2010 – Dani Levin (Sociology)
- 2010 – Hayley Ruttenberg (Animation & Game Design)
- 2009 – Court Heiss (French)
- 2008 – Moises Muñoz (Gender & Women's Studies)
- 2007 – Anna Sun
Number One Network Nelly Award (for administrators) – recognizing the bridges they build and the connections they help sustain within and across communities.
Safe Haven Award (for staff) – recognizing their willingness to serve as a nurturing point of connection for LGBTIQ&A communities.
Still Struttin' Your Stuff Award (for alumns) – recognizing contributions to promoting equality for LGBTIQ&A communities post-graduation.
Community Highlight – recognizing those beyond the DU campus for their positive impact on DU’s larger LGBTIQ&A community.
Queerific Activist Awards – recognizing LGBTIQ&A leadership in raising awareness and making positive change at DU.
- 2013 -- Anna Sher Simon (Biology faculty) & Fran Simon (see Clarion story)
- 2008 – Christopher Turner
- 2008 -- Joshua Jackson Robinson
- 2008 -- Carly Schlotterer
A World of Difference – this recognition, given occasionally, recognizes individuals whose presence and leadership have significantly improved the LGBTIQ&A communities and their experiences at DU.
- 2012 -- Geoffrey Bateman (Gender & Women's Studies, University Writing Program)
- 2009 – Sarah Nickels
- 2008 – Annemarie Vaccaro
Listed departmental/unit affiliation is as of award date if affiliate is no longer at DU.
Nominations are accepted each year.
To nominate someone for an award, please complete the online form OR email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Award category nominated
- Nominee’s name, email address and phone number
- Paragraph explaining why this award should be given to the nominee
- Your name, email address and phone number
A committee will review complete nominations and select recipients to be recognized at the Celebration Gala itself.