The Black Male Initiative Summit (BMIS) provides 8th and 9th grade Black male students with an opportunity to participate in a program that promotes leadership, academic achievement with the goal of graduating high school and from a post-secondary institution, and community involvement while developing their Black male identity. School leaders from across the Denver metro area are asked to nominate students that have demonstrated strong leadership qualities and personal characteristics of excellence. Engaging and interactive workshops are led by Black males who are committed empowering Black young men to be a change agent in your school, community and family.
The 7th annual Black Male Initiative Summit (BMIS) will take place Friday, April 29th, 2016, from 8:00am-3:00pm in Sturm Hall at the University of Denver. This year's theme is "My Legacy: Achieving Black Excellence", where we will be covering topics centered around education and identity that are critical to Black students on their academic journeys and in their communities.
- Participants must register online at http://bitly.com/BMISStudentRegistration2016 by Friday, April 8, 2016.
- To participate as a facilitator in the 7th annual Black Male Initiative Summit (BMIS), participants must register online at http://bitly.com/BMISFacilitatorRegistration2016
- We will also be offering an Adult Learner Track for Adult Educators, School Leaders, Counselors, Community Members,and Leaders, as well as, parents/guardians: http://bitly.com/BMISAdultTrackRegistration2016. Space is limited
BMIS Scholars Program
The newly developed BMIS Scholars Program offers Summit participants additional workshops and visits to local companies and other 4 year institutions to share information about post-secondary education and assist them in preparing for their future.
For African American/Black young women, consider the Especially Me conference.
- Thursday, October 24, 2013 – BMIS Scholars Program Kick-off
- Tuesday, November 12, 2013 – Google Boulder visit
- Saturday, January 11, 2014: BMIS Scholars Program – CU Anschutz Medical Center visit
- Friday, February 21, 2014 - Black Male Initiative Summit
- Saturday, February 22, 2014 - Black Male Initiative Summit DU campus visit
- Saturday, May 3, 2014 - Black Male Initiative Summit – Follow Up
- May 8, 2015 - Black Male Initiative Summit
- Program encourages Black teens to go to college (Denver CBS) 2013
- DU hosts Black Male Initiative Summit (9News) 2013
- Summit focuses on empowering young Black males (April 6, 2012)
- Summit hopes to get more African-American males to DU (April 29, 2012)