Think Tank for Equity:
College Access & Success for Students of Color in Colorado
Back to Think Tank homepage
WORKING GROUP INFORMATION
As a participant in the Think Tank, we ask that you take some time to familiarize yourself with the below framework. A goal of the Think Tank is to engage all participants in the work of “transformative action; harnessing experience and knowledge to realize educational equity in Colorado.” You will not be a mere participant, but an active member in the work for equity.
The Future Search
The Future Search is a methodology aimed at mobilizing individuals and groups for action through task-focused collaboration. For each of the three areas of focus at the Think Tank, we will engage the Future Search methodology critically consider and purposefully act toward transformation.
Our areas of focus will be:
- Improving Participation & Success of Men of Color in Higher Education
- Improving Participation & Success of Undocumented Students
- Improving Participation & Success of students of color in STEM
Future Search Assumptions
- Changing the world means starting with ourselves.
- This is meant to be a learning process where we will probably raise more questions than we answer.
- The goal was to bring as many diverse individuals together to collaborate on a common ground.
- When we explore common ground with others, we release creative energy leading to projects none of us can do alone.
- You don’t need to have a PhD or a certificate to contribute to this process. You had every thing you needed to contribute to this process when you walked into the room.
- In this collective body we have a variety of individuals who are all experts on their own life. We need each of you to operate from that basis.
- This process is supposed to take us into uncharted territory – places we never dreamed of going. In that sense we won’t know where we are going until we get there.
- All ideas are valid
- Listen to each other
- Seek common ground
- Think globally but act locally
- Participate fully – which to mean means enter this process with you mind, body, and soul
- Don’t judge information as good or bad
- Test each other’s assumptions
- Resist problem solving
- Search for a shared vision that is future focus