The DILS program provides mentoring and materials to support you in your language study through the following components:
- Language Partners – DILS students regularly meet with a Language Partner, a native speaker of the target language. The sessions aim to develop linguistic and cultural competence through active conversation, with limited instruction and correction.
- Coaching – A language coach is assigned to each DILS student. The Coach provides guidance and advice on learning strategies and techniques, study abroad opportunities and additional language resources.
- Instructional Materials – The DILS program is working to build a bank of instructional materials for students and Language Partners to borrow.
- Assessment – Students are tested to determine language placement and progress. Whenever possible, tests are administered and evaluated according to national and standardized ACTFL testing scales.
You will be expected to:
- commit to a regular schedule of independent study created with your coach and Language Partner
- attend two weekly language sessions with your Language Partner
- complete mid-term and final oral and/or written proficiency assessments with the Language Examiner
Participation in the program helps you:
- shape your academic and career goals
- prepare for study abroad, internships and other field experiences
- continue studying a language after study abroad, internships and other field experiences
- experience rewarding intercultural relationships