FML 2.16 - Personnel Records Management
The purpose of this letter is to set forth the procedures under which Facilities Management employees are allowed to access the personnel files maintained in the Facilities Management main offices (2400 S Race St.). In order to access the personnel file maintained in Human Resources, an employee should contact that Department.
An employee is allowed to view his or her personnel file that is maintained in the main office and make copies of its contents.
- The employee must request an appointment to view his or her file by contacting his or her supervisor. The supervisor will arrange a mutually convenient time with the administrative office staff for the employee to view the file in the main office.
- The administrative staff member will pull the employee’s file.
- The employee may view the file for a reasonable amount of time under supervision from his or her supervisor or an administrative staff member.
- If an employee wishes to make copies of any of the contents of the file, he or she must mark with paper clips or “sticky notes” the sheets to be copied and request that an administrative staff member or his or her supervisor make the copies.
- The employee may not remove or insert any material or reorganize the file in any way.
- If the employee wishes a Union or other representative to access his or her file, he or she must submit written permission at least two working days in advance to the main office before Facilities Management will pull the file for review. The above procedures then apply to the employee’s representative as well.
Jeff Bemelen, Director of Facilities Mgmt.
Effective Date: October 1, 1998 Revised: January 1st, 2005