FML 2.15 - Time Clock Policies
The purpose of this letter is to set forth time clock policies in the Facilities Management Department.
- All Union and seasonal (non-exempt, non-appointed) employees are required to "punch" a daily time card using a designated time clock at the start and end of each workday. Upon approval of the Foreman, if the employee takes an extended lunch break they may be required to punch in at the start and end of the lunch break.
- Employees must punch in prior to the start of their work shift and be ready to begin work at their work assignment at the starting time of the shift. Employees must punch out at the end of their work shift. Employees should only punch in at the time they begin working and only punch out when all work is completed for their daily shift.
- Punches that occur after the assigned start time of up to seven-minutes will be rounded back to the full hour. For example, if a scheduled start time is 7:00 a.m., and an employee punches in at 7:07, the start time will be rounded back to 7:00 a.m. If an employee punches in at 7:08 or later, the start time will be rounded to 7:15. The same practice will occur at the end of an employees' shift. A Foreman may allow up to a seven-minute grace period upon rare occasions, when an employee has been unavoidably detained or must leave early. However, a pattern of late punch in or early punch outs will not be tolerated. A pattern is defined as more than three early or late punches (more than seven minutes) in a 30-day period (see Work Rules, Group II.13).
- No one may punch the time card of another individual under any circumstance. Such an action is falsification of records, a Group I work rule infraction and will not be tolerated. If an employee fails to punch his or her card, he or she must notify the appropriate foreman.
- Only the appropriate foreman or manager may alter any information on a time card. Any alterations must be initialed and dated by the foreman.
- The appropriate foreman or manager must authorize any overtime.
- Any time clock malfunctions must be reported immediately to the Facilities Management Main Office at extension 2200 (University Park).
- Upon receipt of the employee's pay check if the staff member has a question or disagrees with the number of hours compensated for they should bring this to their Foreman's attention immediately. If the employee wishes to grieve the amount paid, they must do so within one week of receiving the paycheck that is in dispute. Copies of time sheets and time cards are available at the Facilities Management main office.
Jeff Bemelen, Director of Facilities Mgmt.
Effective Date: June 26, 2013 (supersedes memo dated January 1st, 2005) Revised: June 26, 2013