FML 2.15 - Time Clock Policies
The purpose of this letter is to set forth time clock policies in the Facilities Management Department.
- All Union and seasonal (non-exempt, non-appointed) employees are required to “punch” a daily time card using a designated time clock at the start and end of each workday. In some situations, employees may be required to punch in at the start and end of the lunch break.
- Employees must punch in prior to the start of their work shift and be ready to begin work at their work assignment at the starting time of the shift. Employees must punch out at the end of their work shift.
- Employees who leave during the middle of their shift for approved leave and then return to work must punch out when they leave and then punch in again when they return to work.
- Punches that occur after the assigned start time or prior to the end time of a shift will result in time being docked by 15-minute increments. Foremen may allow up to a five-minute grace period upon rare occasions, when an employee has been unavoidably detained or must leave early. However, a pattern of late punch in or early punch outs will be docked as stated above and subject the employee to disciplinary procedures. A pattern is defined as more than three early or late punches (more than five minutes) in a 30-day period (see Work Rules, Group II.13).
- No one may punch the time card of another individual under any circumstance. Such an action is falsification of records, a Group I work rule infraction. If an employee fails to punch his or her card, he or she must notify the appropriate foreman. Failure to punch in and out appropriately may result in disciplinary action.
- Only the appropriate foreman or manager may alter any information on a time card. Any alterations must be initialed and dated by the foreman.
- The appropriate foreman or manager must authorize any overtime. Employees must punch the time clock when reporting for overtime.
- Any time clock malfunctions must be reported immediately to the Facilities Management Main Office at extension 2200 (University Park)
Jeff Bemelen, Director of Facilities Mgmt.
Effective Date: August 1, 1998 (supersedes memo dated March 2, 1976) Revised: January 1st, 2005