If you have submitted your admission deposit, welcome to the DU family! We're so excited that you have chosen to attend the University of Denver. And now that you're officially a Pioneer, we want to make sure you take all the necessary steps to secure your financial aid.
Complete your aid application.
If you received a financial aid estimate, remember that there are additional steps you must take to finalize your aid package:
- File your 2015 federal tax returns as soon as possible. A completed tax return will simplify and expedite the rest of the application process. If you can't file your return by February 15th, feel free to use estimates on the FAFSA.
- Request your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. The FSA ID is required to complete the FAFSA, and serves as your legal signature. Both students and parents need to have their own FSA ID. You will use this ID every year you apply for financial aid and to complete federal student loan requirements.
- Complete the 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15th. This application, available January 1st, is used to determine your eligibility for federal aid. Use income estimates if necessary to meet the February 15th priority deadline.
- Submit additional documentation (if requested) by March 1. We may need additional documentation in order to verify that the information on your application is correct. We'll send you an email if more information is needed.
- Receive your final award letter. If your application is complete, you can expect to receive a final financial aid award letter via email in early April.
For more information, review our application checklist and tips for completing the FAFSA.
Check your status through PioneerWeb.
You can always check the status of your aid by logging into PioneerWeb. In fact, we recommend that you visit it frequently, as it will have the most up-to-date information about your financial aid account.
In particular, you should regularly check the "Financial Aid Requirements" box on your Admitted Students tab. If you see any item with a red flag next to it, it almost always means we are missing something from you. Click on each requirement to learn what you need to do. If there is a green check mark next to a requirement, you're good to go!
Keep in contact with us.
We'll continue to communicate with you periodically over the next few months and throughout the summer, so be sure to read those emails! They always contain important information about your aid or additional steps you need to take. And please contact our office if you change your enrollment plans, received a private scholarship, or just have questions. We're always here to help!
Take our survey.
This is the last of the Financial Aid 101 emails we currently have scheduled. We hope you have found them informative and have helped make the financial aid process a little easier for you and your family. But we want your feedback! Please take a moment to complete a short survey about this series. We'd love for you to share your opinion so we can improve our communication.
From all of us in Financial Aid, welcome to the DU community!
Want to review past Financial Aid 101 emails? Check out the archives!