If your student has submitted an admission deposit, welcome to the DU family! Now that you're officially a member of the University of Denver community, we want to make sure you take all the necessary steps to secure financial aid and know what to expect over the next few months.
Complete your aid application.
If you received a financial aid estimate, remember that there are additional steps you and your student must take to finalize that aid package:
- File your 2015 federal tax returns as soon as possible. A completed tax return will simplify and expedite the rest of the application process. If you can't file your return by February 15th, feel free to use estimates on the FAFSA.
- Request your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. The FSA ID is required to complete the FAFSA, and serves as your legal signature. Both students and parents need to have their own FSA ID. You will use this ID every year you apply for financial aid and to complete federal loan requirements.
- Complete the 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15th. This application, available January 1st, is used to determine eligibility for federal aid. Use income estimates if necessary to meet the February 15th priority deadline.
- Submit additional documentation (if requested) by March 1. We may need additional documentation in order to verify that the information on the application is correct. We'll send your student an email if more information is needed.
- Receive your final award letter. If the application is complete, your student can expect to receive a final financial aid award letter via email in early April.
For more information, review our application checklist and tips for completing the FAFSA.
Have your student check his or her status through PioneerWeb.
Students can always check the status of their aid by logging into PioneerWeb. In fact, we recommend that students visit it frequently, as it will have the most up-to-date information about their financial aid account.
In particular, your student should regularly check the "Financial Aid Requirements" box on the Admitted Students tab. If there is an item with a red flag next to it, it almost always means we are missing something. If there is a green check mark next to a requirement, everything good to go!
Keep in contact with us.
We'll continue to communicate with you and your student periodically over the next few months and throughout the summer, so be sure to read those emails! They always contain important information about your student's aid or additional steps you need to take. And please contact our office if have questions. We're always here to help!
Take our survey.
This is the last of the Financial Aid 101 emails we currently have scheduled. We hope you have found them informative and have helped make the financial aid process a little easier for you and your family. But we want your feedback! Please take a moment to complete a short survey about this series. We'd love for you to share your opinion so we can improve our communication.
From all of us in Financial Aid, welcome to the DU community!
Want to review past Financial Aid 101 emails? Check out the archives!