In this update:
- Spring quarter disbursement of aid and refunds
- Summer Aid Application Available April 1st
- When to Expect a 2015-16 Award Letter
- DU Departmental Scholarship Application Available
- Maintaining Aid Eligibility: Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- Upcoming important dates
Spring Quarter Disbursement of Aid & Refunds
The spring quarter tuition bill is due on March 13th. On that date, your student's financial aid for spring quarter will disburse to his or her student account and will pay toward current charges—as long as all financial aid requirements are satisfied.
In order to receive financial aid, your student must:
- be registered for classes (learn about enrollment requirements),
- have accepted all financial aid through PioneerWeb, and
- have no outstanding requirements.
Expecting a refund? If the amount of financial aid that disburses is more than the total of your student's charges, a refund will be generated by the Bursar's Office on Tuesday, March 17th. Setting up direct deposit is the quickest way to receive this refund. Students who have direct deposit can expect to see their refund in their bank account on March 18th.
Learn more about billing and disbursement >>
Summer Aid Application Available April 1st
Is your student planning to take classes during the summer quarter? Does he or she need financial aid to help pay for those classes? If so, a summer aid application will need to be submitted through PioneerWeb. This application will be available on April 1st, and is required for anyone who wishes to receive institutional and/or federal aid for the summer term. Your student will receive an email from our office when the application is available.
Learn more about the application process and eligibility for both institutional and federal aid on our website.
When to Expect a 2015-16 Award Letter
Wondering when your student receive a financial aid award letter for the 2015-16 school year? Have you already applied? Remember the priority deadline to apply for aid is March 15th!
All financial aid requirements must be completed before we can create an award package. Verify with your student that we have everything we need by having him or her log into PioneerWeb. Anything with a red flag is still outstanding and needs to be submitted. If your student was selected for verification, you can view the answers to our most frequently asked questions on our website.
We will start sending award letter notifications via email to current students who have completed all application requirements in late May. These emails will be sent to the student's preferred address. We do not send paper award letters to current students.
DU Departmental Scholarship Application Available
Did you know there are over 350 DU departmental scholarships available for next year? To be considered for these awards, students must complete an online application through PioneerWeb. This application, which automatically syncs to each student's record to determine initial eligibility, is only available through April 10th.
Many scholarships require some financial need, which is determined by the FAFSA and CSS PROFILE. Each department will select their scholarship recipients and will send notifications by the beginning of June. Encourage your student to submit their application soon!
Maintaining Your Aid Eligibility:
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Did you know students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to remain eligible for all types of financial aid (including loans)? Federal regulations require us to review each student's academic progress on an annual basis—usually in mid-summer. So what does this mean?
In order to continue receiving financial aid, students must:
- maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (2.5 for accounting majors),
- complete and pass a minimum of 80% of all courses attempted (66.67% for Colorado Women's College and University College students), and
- complete their degree within 125% of the minimum credits required to graduate.
Students who are not making Satisfactory Academic Progress will be placed on financial aid suspension and will not receive any further financial aid disbursements until a Probation Contract is completed.
For more information, please review the SAP policy on our website.
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, March 13th: Financial aid disbursement for spring quarter
- Sunday, March 15th: Priority deadline to apply for financial aid for the 2015-16 academic year
- Tuesday, March 17th: Financial aid refunds generated by the Bursar's Office
- Monday, March 23rd: First day of classes for spring quarter
- Sunday, March 29th: Last day to add/drop classes at 100% for spring quarter
- Wednesday, April 1st: Summer aid application available in PioneerWeb
- Friday, April 10th: Last day to submit the DU Departmental Scholarship Application
- Friday, May 8th: Priority deadline to apply for summer aid