In this update:
- Winter quarter disbursement of aid and refunds
- Applying for aid for the 2016-17 academic year
- Parent PLUS Loans and NSLDS
- University closed for winter break
- Upcoming important dates
Winter Quarter Disbursement of Aid & Refunds
The winter quarter tuition bill is due on December 25th. On that date, your student's financial aid for winter quarter will disburse to his or her student account and will pay toward current charges—provided all financial aid requirements are satisfied.
In order to receive your financial aid, your student must:
- be registered for classes (learn about enrollment requirements),
- have accepted all financial aid through PioneerWeb, and
- have no outstanding requirements.
Expecting a refund? If the amount of financial aid that disburses is more than the total of your student's charges, a refund will be generated by the Bursar's Office on Tuesday, December 29th. Students who have direct deposit can expect to see their refund in their bank account on December 30th.
Remember: DU Health insurance is only charged in the fall and spring quarters, so if your student is expecting a refund for winter quarter, it may be higher than anticipated.
We frequently have students ask, "Can I get my refund sooner?" The short answer: no. We are prohibited by federal regulations to disburse financial aid funds any earlier than 10 days before the start of the quarter. Since winter quarter begins on January 4th, we can't disburse funds any sooner than December 25th.
Learn more about billing and disbursement >>
Applying for Aid for the 2016-17 Academic Year
It's already time to start thinking about applying for financial aid for the next academic year! Remember: students must reapply for financial aid every year they attend DU.
How to Apply:
- Complete the 2016-17 FAFSA (available January 1st)
- Complete the 2016-17 CSS PROFILE (available now)
(The CSS PROFILE is not required for music majors or for students in the Colorado Women's College or University College.)
When to Apply:
The priority deadline for current students is March 15th.
What You'll Need:
All of your 2015 tax information. If possible, we highly recommend that you file your tax return as soon as possible after the start of the new year. This will simplify and expedite the application process. If you are unable to file your return before completing the FAFSA, you may use estimates. However, if you use estimates, please go back to www.FAFSA.gov to correct your application using IRS Data Retrieval once your tax return has been accepted by the IRS.
We will begin sending 2016-17 financial aid award letters to those with completed applications in early June.
Learn more about applying for financial aid or download the application checklist.
Parent PLUS Loans and NSLDS
Have you borrowed a Direct Parent PLUS loan? Did you know you can view your loan information through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)? NSLDS is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student aid. Here you will find all of the information you need to manage your loan(s), including your current loan balance, interest rate, and servicer contact information. To access this site, you will need your Federal Student Aid ID.
Want to know how much your future loan payments will be? Utilize the Federal Student Aid Repayment Estimator to estimate your loan payments under each repayment plan.
University Closed for Winter Break
As a reminder, the University of Denver is closed from Friday, December 25th through Friday, January 1st. Since our office is included in the closure, we highly encourage you and your student to make sure all financial aid requirements for winter quarter are satisfied before the break. Doing this will help avoid late fees, and will ensure refunds are generated in a timely manner.
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, December 25th - Friday, January 1st: Winter holiday - University closed
- Friday, December 25th: Financial aid disbursement for winter quarter
- Tuesday, December 29th: Financial aid refunds for winter quarter generated by the Bursar's Office
- Thursday, January 1st: 2016-17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available
- Monday, January 4th: First day of classes for winter quarter
- Sunday, January 10th: Last day to add or drop classes at 100% for winter quarter
- Monday, January 18th: Martin Luther King Jr. Day - University closed
- Monday, February 29th: Departmental scholarship application becomes available in PioneerWeb
- Sunday, March 15th: Priority deadline for current students to apply for 2016-17 financial aid
If you have any questions about the information in this update, please contact us. Happy holidays!
Financial Aid Staff