Center for Performance Excellence (CPEX)
The mission of CPEX is to contribute to the Denver community and further the educational mission of the Graduate School of Professional Psychology’s Sport & Performance Psychology Program.
CPEX will contribute to the Denver community by:
- Providing sport & performance psychology educational resources, programs, and individual and group sessions designed to enhance performance and quality of life through the teaching and application of performance excellence principles
- Advancing inclusive excellence by offering programs and supporting opportunities for underserved populations with particular focus on girls and women, ethnic minorities, and socioeconomically underprivileged groups and individuals
CPEX will further the educational mission of the Sport and Performance Psychology Program by:
- Providing graduate students with opportunities to engage in contributing to the public good through serving the Denver community
- Adding to the graduate students’ development into competent, ethical, and socially conscious professionals
The Center for Performance Excellence (CPEX) at the University of Denver is dedicated to enhancing the performance and quality of life of those persons who seek personal excellence and fulfillment. Consistent with The University of Denver’s vision of being a great private university dedicated to the public good, CPEX will strive to improve the quality of life of people in the Denver metro area. Our aim is to instill and promote people’s desire and mental strategies to achieve personal excellence through direct services and indirectly through knowledge dissemination. Recognizing the importance of sport in American culture, we will utilize sport as a vehicle for positive social change and ground our service in educational models emphasizing well-rounded development, personal responsibility, and citizenship.
Services Provided to Denver Community
6,000+ service hours provided:
- 107 coaching placements with children, youth, and adults
- Novice to elite athletes; elementary, high school, and college level; Special and Paralympic athletes
- Non-competitive athletes
- Basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, football, swimming, track & field, rugby, lacrosse, gymnastics, distance running, cross country, golf, ice hockey, wrestling, figure skating, cheerleading, mixed martial arts, snowboarding.
- Pilates, yoga, fitness/conditioning
- Rehabilitation, computer skills, tutoring (e.g., writing/literacy)
- 1 performing arts placement
3,000+ service hours provided:
- 62 consulting placements with children, youth, and adults
- Recreational, middle school, high school, competitive club & elite, professional athletes
- Basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, baseball, swimming, track & field, gymnastics, distance running, cross county, golf ice hockey, wrestling, figure skating, synchronized ice skating, snowboarding, alpine skiing.
- Fitness/conditioning, group exercise
- 5 performing arts placements
- Ballet, singing