Advocates can talk to you about and answer questions on the following:
- The many options for reporting or not reporting
- The Hospital process including what a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) exam is
- Denver Police Department procedures
- Title IX procedures
- Campus Safety procedures
- Student Conduct Office procedures
- District Attorney's procedures
- Victim compensation - financial reimbursement for costs incurred due to crime
- Academic accommodations
- Common responses following an assault
- Qualities of a healthy and unhealthy relationship
- Safety planning
- Survivor empowerment
- Counseling options on campus and in the community
How to contact an advocate:
During business hours, you may call the Director of CAPE at 303-871-3853 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected to an advocate.
After hours, the CAPE Helpline exists to assist members of the University of Denver community who have experienced gender-based violence. This includes sexual assault, relationship violence or stalking/harassment. Through the Helpline, trained advocates assist survivors, and any family or friends, to cope with the physical, psychological, judicial and/ or legal aftermath resulting from gender-based violence.
Call the Emergency & Crisis Dispatch Line at 303-871-3000 and ask the dispatcher to speak to the CAPE advocate on-call. The dispatch person will ask for your phone number so that the advocate can call you back. You do not need to leave any other information.
NOTE: Calling for an advocate does not obligate reporting anything to the police or the university, except when there is a significant public safety concern.
Who are the advocates?
Advocates are counseling staff and trainees who have completed an intensive 40-hour training program. They understand the complexity of sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking/harassment–and can assist individuals in making decisions and/or obtaining resources. They are educated about medical, criminal, legal and the university systems and can provide emotional support, information and options.