What is the Behavioral Health Consultant Service?
The BHC service is a collaboration between the HCC's medical and mental health providers to address your holistic health. The BHC views "health" as a mind-body connection – your physical health impacts your emotional health and vice-versa. You might be experiencing physical symptoms that have a psychological component such as:
- back, neck, or shoulder pain
- difficulties breathing or chest pain
- stomach upset
The BHC will help you when these challenges are impacting your daily life. The BHC works closely with you and your medical provider and offers brief, solution-focused mental health interventions.
Who can see the BHC?
This service is available to any patient who comes to the Health and Counseling Center.
What should you expect when you meet with the BHC?
- Your medical provider will refer you to the BHC and offer you a chance to meet immediately following, or in conjunction with, your medical appointment.
- The BHC will ask you about your physical and emotional concerns, as well as your behaviors, and we will talk about how these are related.
- You will usually meet briefly, for approximately 30-minutes.
- The BHC will collaborate with you and your medical provider about strategies, skills, and behavioral changes to improve your overall well-being.
- Follow-up visits are scheduled as needed.
- If recommended, the BHC will assist you in transitioning to traditional therapeutic services at the HCC or in the Denver-metro area.