Medical charges for covered services incurred in a country outside the United States are reimbursed by the SHIP at 80 percent of the actual rate billed by the service providers. All other Plan provisions, including plan deductibles, apply.
Emergency Travel Assistance Services
For more information, download the Scholastic Emergency Services brochure.
Medical Services through Assist America
As an active participant in the United Healthcare/Student Resources Student Health Insurance program, you now have access to emergency assistance services when you are traveling 100 miles away from your campus address or outside your country of residence. You can access the Assist America service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year during your policy effective period. Assist America provides a wide array of services to assist you in the event of an emergency. Some of the many services include:
- Medical Consultation and Evaluation—Your call to the Assist America Operations Center will be handled by medical personnel who will refer you to qualified doctors and medical facilities.
- Medical Monitoring—Assist America's medical personnel will stay in regular communication with your attending physician and relay information to you and your family.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation—Should adequate medical facilities not be available locally, Assist America will evacuate you to the nearest medical facility capable of providing you with appropriate care.
- Foreign Hospital Admission Guarantee—Assist America will aid you in gaining access to emergency medical care by validating your health insurance coverage.
- Medically Supervised Repatriation—If you require medical assistance upon being discharged from the hospital, Assist America will make arrangements to get you back to your permanent address or campus location.
- Prescription Assistance—If you are traveling, and require prescription medication, Assist America will help you fill your prescriptions.
- Emergency Trauma Counseling—Assist America will provide online telephonic counseling for emergency situations while traveling.
Personal Assistance Services through Assist America
- General travel information—Assist America will provide you with pertinent travel information such as passport and visa requirements, country-specific cultural information and travel advisories.
- Transport of a family member—if you are injured or ill while traveling and will be in the hospital for more than 7 days, Assist America will arrange and pay for economy transportation for a family member or friend to join you.
- Legal Assistance—Assist America will refer you to legal counsel in the event you have been arrested or detained. Assist America will also notify the consulate/embassy.
- Lost Documents/Lost Luggage and Translation assistance—Assist America will assist you in replacing lost documents such as passports and will assist in the tracking of lost luggage. Additionally, Assist America provides telephonic translation assistance.
- Return of Mortal Remains—Assist America will render every possible assistance in the event of a death while traveling. This service includes locating a sending funeral home to prepare the remains for transport, procuring required documentation and the necessary shipping container.