Enroll For Benefits
- Newly hired employees currently have one month from their date of hire to enroll themselves and their dependents for benefits. After that, employees may only change their insurances and flexible spending benefits during the annual Open Enrollment period or as a result of a loss of employment-related coverage or another IRS qualifying change in status.
- In general, benefits coverage begins on the first of the month following the date of hire. Insurance premiums for monthly-paid employees are deducted from each payroll check on the first of the month for coverage for that month. Insurance premiums for bi-weekly paid employees are deducted from the first bi-weekly payroll check of each month for coverage for that month.
- The University provides a set of "core benefits" which are effective on the date of hire at no cost to the employee. These benefits include term life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance.
- The University offers a comprehensive range of group insurance plans that includes, health, dental, life and accidental death and dismemberment coverage. These "voluntary benefits" are those for which an employee pays a monthly premium through payroll deductions. The University also contributes to the cost of some of these plans.
Change Your Benefits
- Employees at the University of Denver have an opportunity to elect different benefits during Annual Open Enrollment. Annual Open Enrollment is held each year in the spring for the plan year that extends from July 1 of the current year through June 30 of the following year.
- Employees may also modify their benefits plans as a result of an employment-related loss of coverage through a spouse or parent.
- Additionally, employees may also change their benefits selection if they experience an IRS qualifying change in status such as birth, adoption, marriage, divorce, etc. In all cases, there is a 30-day window from the change occurrence for the employee to notify the benefits office and submit the appropriate paperwork.
- Annual Benefits Fair and Open Enrollment meeting dates FY2016
- How to navigate through the portal for benefit elections - Open Enrollment FY16
If you experience a change in status or a loss of coverage, or for other benefits questions, please contact the Human Resources Benefits Office at 303-871-7420.