Skip navigation

Human Resources

Leaving DU


Leaving DU

Exit Conversation and Exit Questionnaire

As the departing employee, you may schedule an exit conversation with Human Resources by calling 303-871-7420. You may also fill out the exit questionnaire. Your honest input and comments are very important to DU so that we can assist in developing a positive work environment across the many department of the University. Complete questionnaires can be dropped off or delivered to Human Resources. Both the exit conversation and exit questionnaire are optional.

Print a copy of the exit questionnaire

Benefit Information

Vacation and Sick Leave Payouts
Accrued, unused vacation will be paid out according to University policy and will be included in your final paycheck.  Sick time accrued during your employment will not be paid out upon separation from your employment.

University Health, Dental and FSA Plans
If, at the time of your separation from the University, you are a current participant in one of our group health or dental plans, this coverage will continue through the end of the month in which you end employment.  Although you will have through the end of the plan year to submit receipts, the last day you will be eligible to incur expenses reimbursable through your Flexible Spending Accounts is your final date of employment with the University.

University medical, dental and FSA health care reimbursement plans may be continued in accordance with COBRA, which generally allows for coverage continuation for 18 months beyond the separation date at the expense of the employee. You will receive information from our third-party COBRA administrator, Rocky Mountain Reserve (RMR) with rates and instructions for enrollment. Should you elect to continue your benefits under COBRA, you will be responsible for the entire monthly premium of your benefit (DU portion + Employee Portion + 2% Administrative Fee). Your monthly premiums will be sent directly to Rocky Mountain Reserve.  You can contact Rocky Mountain Reserve via phone by dialing 1-888-722-1223.  You can also visit the RMR website:

Request a Loss of Credible Coverage Letter
If you need a letter showing loss of benefit coverage, please email Total Rewards or call the HR front desk at 303-871-7420 and ask to speak with someone from Total Rewards.

Retirement Plan
You have several options to manage your retirement accounts after you leave employment with the University:

You may roll your account balance over to an Individual Retirement Account or other qualified account. You may leave your balance in your current plan. While you can move your balance between funds, you will not be able to contribute any additional funds to your account with this option.You can withdrawal your funds with applicable tax penalties.

You will need to contact your retirement vendor directly for applicable rollover and/or withdrawal forms. Retirement Vendor contact information can be found in the University's Benefits Choices Guide.

Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
Your CORE life insurance, AD&D and disability coverages will cease on your final date of employment. If you have supplemental life insurance and/or dependent life insurance coverage, this coverage will end at the end of the month in which you separate from employment.  You may apply to The Hartford, our life insurance carrier, to convert this policy however you must apply in writing and pay the first premium to the insurer within thirty-one (31) days of the effective date of your separation. Please email Total Rewards Office or call 303-871-7420 for more information about portability and conversation of your Hartford life insurance policies.

Tuition Waiver
Refer to the tuition waiver page for information about how your separation will affect those currently utilizing your Tuition Waiver benefit. If you leave the University in the middle of an academic term, please contact Total Rewards to find out how your final bill will be affected.

Other Paycheck Deductions
For any non-DU payroll deductions (loan payments, child support, charitable donations, etc.), you will need to notify the appropriate party.

Parking Permit
You will continue to be billed for your parking permit until it is returned to Parking Services. For additional questions, please contact parking Services at 303-871-3210.

ECO Pass
If you have an ECO Pass, you keep the RTD card. DU will term the ECO Pass on the last day of the month of employment.

Print a copy of the benefit information