The Office of Internationalization
Internationalization in academe is a response to globalization: the growing interdependency of countries, economies, and cultures. It reflects the university's focus on the whole of human knowledge. It shapes a cosmopolitan vision of human communities and assists students and faculty to live and work meaningfully in a complex yet connected world.
The Office of Internationalization provides leadership and support for the University of Denver's efforts to internationalize the curriculum and the campus. At DU, students and scholars from overseas are part of our community, and all our faculty and students are encouraged to study, research, and offer service in a global context.
The office comprises four main units:
- The Office of International Student and Scholar Services provides orientation for new international students and scholars, immigration advising, work authorization assistance, cross-cultural adjustment assistance, and international programs and events.
- The Office of International Education (Study Abroad) is the home for DU's flagship study abroad program, Cherrington Global Scholars, along with International Community Engagement and Service Learning. It also offers support to faculty-led programs and to any student seeking special help with study abroad to fit a special academic need.
- The English Language Center prepares international students for the skills to be successful as undergraduate or graduate students at DU or other U.S. institutions of higher education. In addition, the ELC provides short-term language and culture programs in response to requests from University departments, community groups, and international constituents.
- The Associate Provost for Internationalization oversees all the above units and implements, promotes, and assesses the University's internationalization initiatives by working closely with the Provost, academic deans, and departments, along with a faculty/staff advisory board. The Office of Internationalization is the clearinghouse for all agreements with international universities and works with the Center for Multicultural Excellence to bridge the gap between multicultural and international education.
- Associate Provost for Internationalization: Luc Beaudoin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director of the Office of International Education (Study Abroad):
Denise Cope email@example.com
- Director of International Student and Scholar Services:
David Gowdey firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director of the English Language Center: Sheryl Meyer email@example.com
- Director of Budget and Operations: Diane Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org