Skip Navigation

Health & Safety > Health Insurance

Health Insurance

While studying abroad, students must carry an adequate health policy that will cover their entire period overseas. Please check with your carrier for details on your coverage and how to make claims. If you are dissatisfied with your current provider's overseas coverage, you should consider the University of Denver's health insurance, which is valid overseas.

Some study abroad programs or countries require that students purchase a particular insurance plan in addition to the insurance they carry in the U.S. Please note that the Cherrington program covers the cost of mandatory insurance. Please check with your OIE advisor to see if this is the case.

You will need to be covered in the U.S. upon your return or in case you return home early for any reason. This means that, no matter what overseas coverage you choose, you should continue to carry health insurance that is applicable in the U.S.

DU students have emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage through the University of Denver's membership with International SOS. Details about the services offered by International SOS can be found through their website ( ) by using DU's membership number. You will receive the membership number from your Study Abroad Program Coordinator as part of your acceptance packet. You may also call the Office of International Education for more details (303-871-4912).

For a more comprehensive set of questions and considerations for evaluating the adequacy of your healthcare insurance plan for study abroad, click here.