Health & Safety > International SOS
The University of Denver has contracted with International SOS to provide 24 hour worldwide emergency medical and evacuation assistance to faculty, staff, and students traveling on University related activities. If you are planning any University travel, we encourage you to take advantage of this program. It is not necessary to enroll in order to activate the program services, but we strongly encourage all international travelers to create a Personal Travel Record and Emergency Contact Record via the International SOS webpage.
International SOS is NOT a form of medical insurance coverage, but they will coordinate with care providers abroad and your insurance back in the United States to help you find the right providers and make sure you have proper proof of payment. This means that International SOS is like a concierge service that will help you get all the information and care you need to stay safe and healthy while abroad.
International SOS is the world's largest medical and security assistance company, with more than 3,000 professionals in 24-hour Alarm Centers, international clinics and remote-site medical facilities across five continents. Please note International SOS is NOT health insurance, it is a travel assistance program. Travelers should maintain their own personal health insurance and determine how their health insurance program applies to medical care prior to traveling. The following are highlights of the plan.
If you would like to view a PowerPoint presentation on International SOS, please click here: Introduction to International SOS (.ppt).
Medical Assistance Services
- Pre-trip information on travel health issues (such as vaccination information)
- 24-hour access to International SOS physicians who provide emergency and routine medical advice
- 24-hour access to International SOS Alarm Centers for medical information, referrals and emergency assistance
- Outpatient case management
- Outpatient medical expense guarantee and payment
- Inpatient admission and identification of receiving physician
- Inpatient medical expense guarantee, cost review and payment
- Medical claims assistance
- Dispatch of medication and medical supplies
- Emergency medical evacuation services
- Medical and dental referrals
- Medically supervised repatriation
- Medical monitoring
- Arrange ground transportation and accommodation for accompanying family members*
- Repatriation of mortal remains
Security Assistance Services
- Security evacuation assistance
- Access to security crisis center
- Online travel security information about your destination
Travel Assistance Services
- Legal referrals
- Lost documentation advice and assistance
- Advance of emergency personal cash*
- Emergency translation services
- Emergency message transmission
- Country guidelines
- Travel Security Reports
- Email notifications on travel conditions
*Costs that are not covered by the traveler's health plan will be the responsibility of the traveler.