Skip Navigation

Family & Friends > Parent FAQs

When should my student start planning for study abroad?

Planning for study abroad ideally begins during their first year at DU. By working closely with an academic advisor and a study abroad advisor, your student can carefully plan for a study abroad experience that will support their major or minor. Because some majors are built on a highly sequential model, it is important that your student have appropriate prerequisites for upper division classes. By working closely with advisors in their department, as well as the Office of International Education (OIE), your student will be able to study abroad without hindering their progress towards graduation.

Will studying abroad keep my student from graduating on time?

If your student plans early and works with their academic department, your student will be able to graduate at the same time as if they had never left the DU campus. Indeed, many students advance their progress toward a degree by earning a full semesters' credit during the fall term.

When may my student study abroad?

The Cherrington Global Scholars (CGS) Initiative is for students in their junior or senior year; however, a student may study abroad as a non-CGS student any time during their studies at DU.

For how long may my student study abroad?

There are quarter, semester, and academic year long programs available for students. Students may study abroad once as a Cherrington Global Scholar, however they are able to do multiple programs with approval from the OIE. 

Where can my student study abroad?

There are DU Partner Programs available all over the world. With such a wide variety of choices, it can be a bit overwhelming for your student to figure out where to go. By taking advantage of this website and the resources available at the OIE (program materials, advisors, returned students, study abroad fair) your student can narrow the possibilities and choose the program that is best suited to their academic and personal needs.

What can my student study?

All academic disciplines are available to DU students, although the range of opportunities varies substantially by discipline.

Does my student need to know a second language?

No, your student does not need to know a second language in order to study abroad. There are a variety of programs available in English-speaking countries, as well as numerous programs that offer instruction in English. However, some programs do have language prerequisites. There are also language acquisition programs at all levels.

How does my student get credit from study abroad? What kind of credit will it be?

In order to get credit for a study abroad program, your student must complete a Study Abroad Credit Approvals form. This form lists the courses that your student plans to take while abroad and must be signed by the appropriate academic departments, giving their approval that a class will count towards specific requirements at DU. All credit earned on DU programs will be treated as DU resident credit. Students who participate in an unaffiliated program must complete the same form; however, the credits are treated as transfer rather than resident credit.

Will grades from abroad affect my student's GPA?

For students participating in DU Partner Programs, grades will appear on your student's transcript but will not count toward their cumulative GPA.  Courses from DU Faculty-Led Programs that are part of the DU curriculum will count towards their GPA.  Grades from unaffiliated programs will not be calculated into your student's GPA. With very few exceptions, DU does not accept pass/fail grades from study abroad programs.

What will the academic environment be like?

This will vary greatly, depending on the type of study abroad program your student selects. On some programs (e.g., faculty-led London and Bologna), your student may be in classes exclusively with other DU students. Some study abroad programs may be structured such that your student's classmates are American students from other U.S. universities or international students. In many of the DU programs, your student will be directly enrolled in the host university, taking classes with local students. In the latter situation, your student will most likely find that the educational approach in the host country requires them to be much more independent in their studies than they may be accustomed to at DU. Your student might not have as much time in the classroom, but they will be expected to do a great deal more independent work and library-based research. Also, grading abroad is often quite different than the U.S. system. In the U.S., most professors will start everyone off at 100 and then take off points. In most other university systems, the opposite is true. So, while a 70 may not seem like a particularly good grade in the U.S. system, it would be considered an excellent grade in a British university.

Where will my student live?

Housing varies greatly among study abroad programs. Your student may live with a host family, in a residence hall with local students, or in an apartment.

What are the admission requirements?

Different study abroad programs have different eligibility requirements, all of which can be found on the DU Program Summaries.  Some programs are restricted to a certain major.  There may be a language pre-requisite for some programs, and all have a GPA requirement.  You can find a complete description of the CGS eligibility requirements here.

When should my student apply for study abroad?

DU Study Abroad application deadlines vary by program. Fall term or academic year program deadlines range from January 15 to March 1. The deadline for winter quarter programs is generally October 1 . Because of the variation and because many programs accept on a rolling basis, your student should check with the OIE to verify his/her program's application deadline.

How does my student apply?

Instructions on how to apply can be found here. Students should realize that there are two parts to the application: DU Nomination Requirements and the Program Application. Students should complete the nomination requirements and submit their documents before the due date.  Once your student is nominated to a program, they will then need to complete the program application.  Some program applications are relatively simple while others are more complicated.

How much will it cost?

Studying abroad as a Cherrington Global Scholar for a quarter or semester will cost your student the same tuition and—in most cases—the same housing and meal charges as a quarter at DU. Studying abroad for the full academic year will incur three quarters of DU tuition and housing and meal charges. In a very few cases, housing is the student's responsibility, and DU housing is not charged. Provision of meals varies. For programs in which meals are provided, the DU Study Abroad meal charge will be applied. The University Technology Fee is assessed each quarter abroad, and students must keep their existing health insurance in force, just as on campus. Personal expenses such as travel and entertainment will vary. We've created a Study Abroad Budget Worksheet to help students plan their expenses for their study abroad experience.

Will my student's financial aid apply?

Yes, federal, state and DU financial aid will be applied directly to your student's DU Partner Program. There may be additional outside scholarships that are available to your student. Have your student check with their OIE Advisor to see if they qualify for any of these additional grants or scholarships. DU aid cannot be applied to unaffiliated programs, but federal and state aid still apply.

How does my student learn about the different study abroad programs and DU procedures and policies?

This website is a great resource for students to find steps on how to research their program options, as well as understand the policies regulating study abroad ( Getting Started; Policies). They can always contact their OIE advisor for clarification or further explanation.