Skip Navigation


Most academic processes and evaluations will be handled by the Office of International Admission and your academic department.

Academic Advising

You will need to meet with your academic advisor before you are able to register for classes. This requirement is in addition to the International Student Orientation. Undergraduate students will receive information about their initial advising session while attending the Discoveries Program. Graduate students should contact their academic department for information about meeting with an academic advisor.

English Placement Test

If you are a non-native English speaker, it is likely that you will need to take DU's English Placement Test regardless of your TOFEL score before you are able to register for classes. The English Placement Test will determine if you must take any additional English as a Second Language courses to meet the University's English Proficiency Requirements.

Please refer to your letter of admission for information about the conditions of your admission and any English language requirements you must meet. For more information, contact the Office of International Admission.

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Transfer credits are evaluated after the Office of International Admission has received official final transcripts from your previous institution. Unofficial transcripts or documents sent by the student cannot be accepted for credit evaluation.

Undergraduate transfer students will receive a transfer credit evaluation by mail. You should take the transfer credit evaluation with you to your initial advising session during Discoveries. This evaluation is only preliminary; you should take detailed course outlines and syllabi with you as well to help your department finalize the transfer of previous credits. Transfer credit is not evaluated or awarded for secondary education.

Graduate Students will have their transfer credits evaluated by their academic department. Bring detailed syllabi and course outlines with you to assist the department in awarding transfer credit. Contact your academic department for more information.

Academic Success

The University of Denver has many resources available to students to help them do well in their classes. Staff and faculty are more than willing to help or to direct you to someone who can. You just have to ask! Our Academic Success web page is a good place to start for information on the U.S. academic system and links to University campus resources.