Skip Navigation


You should have access to enough money to cover your expenses during your stay in the United States. The University is unable to provide financial support to students who do not have sufficient funds to meet their educational and living expenses. We strongly recommend against relying on on-campus employment to meet your living expenses. You should also not rely on obtaining employment or financial aid to compensate for any deficiency in your funding.

Paying Your Student Account Bill

Tuition payments are due each quarter following registration. Payment plans are available through DU's partnership with Tuition Management Systems (TMS). Some U.S. banks may freeze funds deposited from overseas banks for several weeks. You should therefore make arrangements for alternate payment plans to cover initial expenses after you arrive in the United States. You may make a payment on your student account bill using the following methods:

  • Traveler's or personal check
  • Money order
  • Credit card
  • ACH transaction
  • Web payment
  • Wire transfer
  • Bank draft *

* If you have a bank draft made payable to the University, you must wait several weeks to receive a reimbursement for any amount exceeding what you owe to DU.

To learn more about payment options, please visit the Bursar's Office Payment Types page.


If you have been awarded an on-campus assistantship, you should still arrange for access to enough money to cover your initial expenses after arriving in the United States. It may be several weeks after you begin your assistantship that you receive your first paycheck.


In general, international students are limited in the types of employment they can engage in. F-1 and J-1 students may work part-time on campus during the academic year, and full-time during vacation periods. On-campus employment is limited, and many students who would like to work on-campus are unfortunately not able to do so.

You may only work off-campus with authorization from International Student and Scholar Services or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In most cases, you must have been enrolled for at least 9 months before you are eligible to work off-campus. Unauthorized off-campus employment is a serious violation of your immigration status. Please speak to an international student advisor before accepting any off-campus employment opportunity.

Financial Aid

International students are generally ineligible for federal and state financial aid. Graduate students may apply for graduate teaching and research assistantships through their academic department. Assistantships are limited and highly competitive. For more information about assistantship opportunities, please contact your academic department.