Skip Navigation

Maintaining Your Immigration Status

F-1 and J-1 students should familiarize themselves with the restrictions and reporting requirements of their immigration status. It is important that you abide by the regulations governing your status in order to be eligible to remain in the United States and to apply for certain immigration benefits, such as off-campus employment authorization.

Immigration Status

Immigration status refers to the lawful status you hold as a non-immigrant in the United States, which is determined either by the manner in which you last entered the country, or by the result of a change of status petition submitted to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

"Maintaining status" means to abide by the regulations and reporting requirements governing your immigration status. Failure to properly maintain your status may result in the termination of your program and losing your eligibility to study in the United States.

Summary of Regulations and Reporting Requirements

The table below outlines some of the major responsibilities and reporting requirements of F-1 and J-1 immigration status. If you are unsure about a particular requirement or how it may apply to your status, please contact an international student advisor to learn more.

Maintaining Immigration Documents
Passport Must be unexpired at least six months into the future.
I-94 Arrival/Departure Card Must be correct and undamaged while in the United States.
U.S. Visa Must be unexpired when re-entering the United States.
I-20 or DS-2019 Must contain current biographical, academic, and financial details.
Program end date must extend until completion of studies.
Reporting Changes
Change of Address Must be reported within 10 days of moving by updating in webCentral.
Change of Legal Name Submit a copy of your updated passport to ISSS.
Change of Immigration Status Submit copy of I-797 Notice of Approval from USCIS to ISSS.
On-Campus May only work up to 20 hours per week during academic year.
May work more than 20 hours per week during University breaks and vacation quarter.
J-1 students must receive employment authorization from program sponsor prior to beginning employment.
Off-Campus May only work with authorization from ISSS/program sponsor or USCIS.
Academic Quarters Must maintain full-time enrollment each academic quarter.
Vacation Quarter Enrollment is not required.